Chapter 20

A/N: Man, sorry for the lack of updates again amigos. I've been sorting out uni, which I'm starting next Monday, and have so much to do for October MCM in London. If any of you lovely people are going, let me know who you're cosplaying and I'll look out for you! <3 Hope you enjoy this chapter!

~/**\~

Masumi’s point of view

It was meant to be simple, this job, find Aurora and stop her from creating more portals. But as I slumped against the wall, clutching my heavily bleeding side with Hemera in my right hand. The bitch laughing as she stepped towards me, hand crackling with a loud and dangerous lightning spell fuelled by a demonic pendant, I realised how foolish I’d been to not notice the signs that had been screaming at me. Her reasoning, her powers and the most important thing…

Who Aurora Stryder actually was.

~/**\~

The slight limp that I’d acquired from the fight with the oversized demon prior to entering the Stryder building wasn’t doing me much justice as I slumped in the elevator, pushing the button for it to take me to the offices on the top floor. Eva’s spirit was next to me in the elevator, a frown on her lips as she turned to look out of the window down at the glowing city lights below.

Masumi… How do you plan on defeating Aurora? I believe you can do it but… I can’t shake this feeling that something bad is going to happen.” Eva’s voice was filled with fear as she glanced towards me; I leant against the bar in the elevator, staring out at the city with her then shook my head.

“It’s too familiar, all of this… The way Dante and I are being played.”

“What do you mean by played?”

“This!” I snapped, waving my arm around before shaking my head, whimpering slightly when I put too much pressure on my wounded leg. “All of this… It’s playing out just like one of the games.”

But which game, for the life of me I couldn’t think of which one it was. I knew all of the damn Devil May Cry games off by heart, could pretty much recite any cut scene from any of the four games from memory and right now, I couldn’t remember, which game that Aurora was playing me from? That’s when my eyes widened as I turned to stare out again at the city lights below us.

“Oh my god… Eva… We’re being played through the plot of Devil May Cry 2.”

Eva was definitely confused at me as I began to pace around the elevator as it continued its climb to the top of the building towards the CEO offices. Biting my nails, I shook my head and patted my temples with the bottoms of the palms of my hand. What made it Devil May Cry 2? Why not 1 or 4?

“Why, why that game…”

Then again, why was I sent into the anime? If I was going to be killed in that world or put into a dangerous situation, it would have made more sense for me to have been sent into the time of Devil May Cry 1 with Mundus’s castle or even the events of Devil May Cry 3 with the Temen-Ni-Gru and Vergil, like Jade was sent into the manga then eventually the events of the game. It just didn’t make any sense to me, what was Aurora? Was she more important than I’d realised? Than I’d thought before… Eva was staring as I paced around the elevator before watching as I groaned and covered my eyes with my hands.

“There’s something I can’t put together!”

“Masumi… Maybe it’s more simple than you think it is…”

“Simple? Eva… It can’t be as simple as it…”

I stopped in the middle of my sentence, freezing on the spot. Maybe it was a simple as Eva said it was, what if… What if Aurora was the same as me, what if she was just like Jade and I.