{two}

Sparrowleap signalled with his tail for the apprentices to come over to himself and Rowanheart.

"We'd better see what this is all about" he grumbled, pushing through the bracken that surrounded the clearing. The growling didn't seem too distant and gradually got louder as the four toms headed their way towards it.

"I bet it's those pesky FeatherClan warriors again, they're always up to no good!" Hawkpaw whispered to Owlpaw.

"Yeah well if it is I'll claw their pelts off!" Owlpaw hissed quietly.

"Not if I do first!" Hawkpaw retorted.

Despite the apprentices' bickering, Sparrowleap had to agree that he wouldn't be surprised if it was FeatherClan warriors. As they passed through CloverClan territory they arrived at the stream which bordered the FeatherClan territory.

"Well what do you know" Rowanheart muttered in annoyance.

Needlepelt stood on the CloverClan side of the stream along with Ambereye and the two newly made apprentices - Garlicpaw and Silverpaw. While on the FeatherClan side stood Haygorse, Barkpaw, and another dark tabby she-cat who he couldn't put a name on. Haygorse's pelt was fluffed up as she threw snarling comments to the CloverClan warriors, while Barkpaw looked a bit disconcerted. The dark tabby she-cat's expression was unreadable.

Needlepelt stood tall as he tried to keep his fur flat - which wasn't working out very well - he flicked his tail back and fourth in annoyance.

"Haygorse you know just as well as I do that Silverpaw didn't fall into the stream on purpose" Needlepelt pointed out "She simply tripped and dropped her prey in, thus going in to retrieve in, confused by the current she got out on the wrong side."

"Oh really? Well how do we know that she didn't cross the stream, hunted the vole and swam back across. Or are CloverClan still deprived of prey after leaf-bare that they relish every scrap they can find even if that means letting an apprentice - who can barely swim - fetch a soggy, mangy piece of kill out of the stream?" Haygorse retorted mockingly.

Needlepelt looked furious while Silverpaw shrunk back ashamed. Sparrowleap padded out of the undergrowth flicking his tail for the others to follow. The four CloverClan cats by the stream turned to see them as they walked over.

"Needlepelt" Sparrowleap dipped his head in greeting. "I see FeatherClan are stirring up trouble again" he meowed quietly but Haygorse must have heard him because her eyes glinted with fury.

Needlepelt nodded in response as Ambereye rested her tail along his back to try calm him down. Sparrowleap turned to face the the FeatherClan warriors. Three to eight. The dark tabby seemed to recognise this as alarm sparked in her hazel gaze and she leaned over to her clanmate to whisper something in her ear.

Sparrowleap couldn't hear what she had said but whatever it was, Haygorse obviously copped on that they were outnumbered. She cursed under her breath then faced the CloverClan cats, her gaze blazed.

"Fine. You CloverClan cats may win this time but I'll be reporting this back to FeatherStar!" Haygorse spat full of antagonism as they turned and started to stomp away.

"Yeah you better run! You mess with CloverClan and we'll claw y-ouff" Sparrowleap covered Owlpaw's mouth with his tail to stop him ranting on anymore. Owlpaw spat out the fur

"Hey what was that for!" Owlpaw meow indignantly.

Sparrowleap narrowed his eyes at his apprentice. "To keep your big mouth shut, I swear one day that mouth of yours is going to get you into big trouble." He meowed cuffing him over his ears playfully.