Chapter Four

A week goes by since my last visit to the warehouse. I can feel my power stirring within me, dying to escape, desperately wanting to be used. This is another reason why I'm glad that I graduated. That, and the fact that school was a living hell for me. Between my white hair and pale eyes, I was thought of as a freak.

I remember every time I was even  frustrated, the air around me would become chilled. No one noticed, fortunately. I never had anyone close enough to me to notice anyways. Even the new kids seemed to avoid me, and you have to admit, that's a pretty bad sign. Honestly, who could blame them? I look like some rotten piece of seaweed that's been washed up on the beach.

Due to my situation, I was always left alone with my insecurities. That, of course, didn't help my depression that began to develop when my dad died. There's no one to help me with anything. I'm alone.

But sometimes, you have to deal with what life gives you. You have to try and make the best out of it. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be pretty. Maybe one day I'll make friends with a couple of freaks like me. Maybe, just maybe, I could even fall in love. No, not just fall in love. Maybe I'll actually be loved back.

When I'm sure that mom is gone, I quietly sneak out the front door and head towards the warehouse. The cruel heat of the sun beats down on my back, my fair flesh heating up in this terrible Arizona summer.

When I sneak across thepavement that leads to the warehouse, I sense something different. I pause, timidly looking around for any signs of disturbance around the building.

There's absolutely nothing different, besides a small stream of water trickling down the curb and into a gutter a few yards from the warehouse. I frown. "Maybe I should go home." For some reason I feel really uneasy. I turn back around, quickly crossing the road and walking along the sidewalk that leads back to the stoplight by the train tracks.

The hair on the back of my neck stands up. I glance behind me, but no one's there. I quicken my pace. I can't see them, but someone is definitely watching me.

I jog across the tracks, my long legs extending out and pushing me forward. "I have to get away." I think. My heart slams against my rib cage, out of fear and physical activity, as I literally start to sprint down the sidewalk on the other side. I see my street up ahead.

I wheel around the corner, racing up the long street and to my house as fast as I can. My tennis shoes crunch against the gravel of my driveway as I run towards my front door. I yank it open, not even caring if my mother is inside.

I slam the door behind me and lock it. My heart continues to ram into my chest as I slump against the door. After a moment I quietly walk over to the living room window.

I take a deep breath and pull back the curtains. There, on the other side of the street, is a gray tabby cat. I collapse on the couch, chuckling dryly. I pause thoughtfully. "I really need to get in shape. Even cats can keep up with me."

I sigh loudly and stand from my place on the couch. I look around the living room and see no sign of my mom's presence. "She's probably at work." I think and wrinkle my nose at the thought.

I walk into the kitchen and groan aloud when I see a heap of dishes sitting on the counter by the sink. I'll do any chore, but dishes are the worst. The thought of the particles of food floating around in the scalding hot water makes me sick.

I sigh loudly and walk over to the sink. I turn the faucet on, fill the sink up, and pour a few drops of dish soap in the water. Fortunately most of the dishes are scraped, so I just dump them in the water and begin to scrub.

After I begin to rinse them off I hear a knock at the front door. I jump, almost dropping a glass dinner plate. No one ever visits us.

I grab a yellow dish towel, dry the water off of my hands, and toss it on the couch as I walk into the living room. Who ever it is knocks again. I frown and look through the peephole. On the other side of the door is a short, brunette girl and a tall, blonde boy.

I open the door. The girl jumps when she sees me. "Hey, Crystal! How are you?" She says cheerfully. I frown. "I'm sorry, do I know you?" I ask, my gaze flickering up to the tall male. He doesn't look at me  but keeps on staring across the street.

The girl keeps on smiling. "My name's Jennifer Newberry, and this is Tom Tritus. We went to the same high school, remember?" She says,  that ridiculous grin still plastered on her face.

I step out of the house and shut the door behind me. "I'm sorry, I didn't recognize you for a moment." I say, forcing a smile. Wasn't she in my calculus class?

"No, no! It's quite alright! I'm sorry we just showed up here out of the blue!" She laughs. Why is she so cute? Her optimism makes me queasy. Tom is still silent.

"It's alright." I say nervously. How did they get my address? Well, I have lived here for most of my life. Many people may know where I live.

"I don't mean to be rude, but why are you here?" I ask, desperately wanting to go back inside. I'd rather wash dishes than interact with these two oafs.

Tom speaks up. "Um, we'd like to invite you to our wedding." He says, grabbing Jennifer's hand and smiling shyly. Now that I look closely I notice that she's wearing an engagement ring. Aren't they too young to get married?

"Oh, congratulations!" I say awkwardly. She continues to smile, her brown eyes sparkling and perfect little teeth flashing. "Thank you!" They say, almost in unison. Creepy.

"Um, yeah I'll try to make it." I lie, reaching out to accept the invitation they offer. "Great!" Jennifer says giddily. She lets go of Tom's hand and leaps forward, her petite frame capturing me in a hug. I stand there awkwardly and pat her back. "Can she let go already?" I mentally hiss.

She peels herself off of me and steps backwards. "Alright, we'll see you then!" She says. They wave and begin to walk down the sidewalk. "Uh, yeah, see you." I call after them.

When they're near the street sign I open my front door and walk back inside. I shut the door and walk back into the kitchen, looking at the peach colored envelope with their names written in some fancy font on the front. People are already taking these huge leaps in their lives, and here I am, afraid of my own shadow.

I almost toss the invitation in the trash, but I remember Jennifer's obvious happiness and decide against it. Instead, I set the invitation on the counter and continue to rinse the dishes.

We were never friends in school. Truth be told, I barely knew them. I tried to avoid everyone in school anyways. Now they're all in college or getting married!

I wonder if I'll ever get married. I look out the kitchen window towards a garden across the street. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. But I suppose it would be nice.