Chapter Thirteen

I feel myself being pulled in and out of consciousness, opening my eyes to a black tinged world. The light lasts only a few minutes, then I feel myself drifting away again, to an ocean of  delirious dreams.

Vague voices come and go, fading and eventually disappearing, like whispers blown away by the wind. A swarm of unfamiliar, warped faces cloud my subconsciousness, fading into each other and breaking apart into a million pieces.

The faces disappear and a veil of darkness is drawn over the endless confusion of dreams. There is nothing but black. A single beam of light then appears within the core of the dark void. A figure appears in the light; a boy with a wreath of fire-red hair.

I try to scream for him, but my voice catches in my throat and is forced back down into my lungs before I can manage to call out. I cough hysterically, and even the harsh sound escaping from my lips can't be detected in this emptiness.

I focus on Finn through my watering eyes. His own eyes are wide with fear, and he seems to be saying something. He doesn't seem to see me, so I watch closely as his lips move in an attempt to speak.

I want to scream at him, tell him i'm here, find out what he's saying. But I can't make sense out of the jumble of words. Suddenly, I see him pause, his lips drawn into an "o". His mouth closes, setting his jaw into a rigid line of frustration.

The beam of light slowly begins to fade to black again, and there's nothing I can do as Finn disappears into the darkness, as effortless as fog on a windy day.