Chapter Twenty Six

After reluctantly obeying Mrs. Inoue and Finn when they suggested I hop into an SUV with them, I was surprised to see the elderly Japanese woman climbing in the front seat of the somewhat large vehicle. She jammed the key in the ignition, slammed her door shut, and stomped on the gas petal after shifting the gears to drive. I barely had  time to shut my car door before the SUV lurched forward from its parking space. I buckled my seat belt from my place in the back seat and held on for dear life.

The SUV is a typical one, black and sleek with a capacious inside, holding leather seats and a working air conditioner. The black tinted windows keep out any unwanted attention, but they allow us to see the outside.

We were lucky enough to get through the towering front gates before they were bolted shut and law enforcement arrived. The large round tires sprayed gravel against the empty guard station before the car careened out onto the highway. After I was able to catch my breath, Mrs. Inoue began to answer my multiple questions while Finn stripped off his scrubs. He had a black tshirt and a pair of jeans on under the "borrowed" medical attire.

Apparently, the woman that had escaped the asylum is part of the Plaowc community. Plaowcs are people who have superhuman abilities (like myself). I've come to find out that many of us prefer to think of our gift as magic. It's easier to explain, that way. Anyways, the female escapee had noticed how different I was from the other patients.

After she escaped, she reported my behavior to the Plaowc leader, who took interest in me and sent a rookie (Finn seemed to find his classification rather distasteful, for he huffed grumpily and frowned) to the asylum to "rescue" me. I find it funny how they weren't even certain that I was one of them, and yet they still came to get me.

I'm able to think clearly while I'm outside that dreadful prison. Since it was the last of August when the incident occurred, I have only been in the asylum for about four months. I hadn't the slightest clue of what day it was while I was inside that place. I shift uncomfortably in my leather seat. "That place really screws with your sanity. Thank God I got out."

Mrs. Inoue clears her throat. "Crystal, I know this is all very confusing. So let's start off with some basics." She looks back at me, so I nod. "First of all," she begins, "You must now call me Hiyori. Inoue is my last name, and it makes me feel old when I'm called by it." I blush, embarrassed. "Yes... Hiyori." 

The word sounds foreign on my tongue. Not because it is, but because I've always thought that the small Japanese lady liked to be addressed by her last name. Wasn't it considered polite? Stuff like this has always confused me. I shrug.

"Good." She says, smiling at me through the rearview mirror. Her eyes once again focus on the road, but she continues to speak. I look out my window.

"Second of all, we'll need to change your appearance and create a new identity for you." She says. I frown at her words, but nod anyways.

"The government will be looking for you after this. You need to live the life of a fugitive." She declares with a wink. I tear my eyes away from the window and stare at her, unblinking. She laughs. "Not in living conditions or treatment. Just in the area of identification, or rather social class."
"Oh." I say dumbly, still not quite sure of what she's talking about.

"We'll have to call you by a different name, also. But that will be decided when we get to the Base." She adds. I wrinkle my eyebrows. "The Base? Where, exactly, is this place?" I ask. She smiles. "A day or so away."
"Well that's specific." I mutter. She laughs. "That's all I can tell you for now, Dear." I sigh. So. Many. Questions!

Finn seems to be oblivious to our conversation. Ever since we've hit the open road he's been silent. Is he always like this?