27. Speak Your Mind

The second day of the Literary Week was designated to Dress Up. Students were encouraged to come to school dressed up as a fictional character. Not everyone had played along, but there was a sizable number showing their support.

I wasn't sure I could pull off an overly fancy character, so I was dressed as Red Riding Hood. Nicole was Maleficient and Hayley was dressed in casuals but called herself Nancy Drew. That was the current topic of discussion - or argument, really.

"Why does it bother you anyway?" Jace was asking. "She's wearing whatever the hell she wants to and she's going to call herself whatever the hell she wants to. Nobody asked for your opinion."

Nicole flipped him off, her gaze fixed on Hayley. "You know that movie they made of Nancy Drew a couple years ago? Emma Roberts?" Hayley nodded. "That classical style is more her thing. Your color is way off and Nancy Drew doesn't wear tees."

"I'm sure she did in the books," Hayley countered, smiling.

"Debatable," Nicole said.

"Why would you know any better?" Jace asked.

Nicole, per usual, ignored him. "I think she'd be into jackets. Jeans jackets."

"Maybe," Hayley said. "But, I don't have any right now. What do you think, Ariel."

"I think Jace has something to say," I replied with a smirk.

Jace raised his hands, looking relieved. "Finally someone who cares about my opinions!"

"Oh, please." Nicole rolled her eyes. "She's just in it for the entertainment. Where's Adrian?"

"Helping Sebastian," I answered.

"Where's your boyfriend?"

"Don't know yet," I said. "He's organizing the event obviously. He could be anywhere in the school." As if on cue, my phone buzzed. Sebastian was replying to my earlier query about his whereabouts. 

Gym. Interviewing people for the zine. 

Aren't you coming for Lunch? 

I won't be able to make it.  Sorry. 

Is Adrian with you? 

He just left. I told him to get some food. 

Okay. See you later. 

"So, Sebastian's held up at the gym," I told everyone at the table. "And, Adrian's going to be here in a while." I glanced down at my still full tray and an idea struck me. "I'm going to take some of this for him," I said, mostly to myself. But, obviously, it didn't miss the ears of my friends.

Without warning, Jace was pulling my cheeks as Nicole cooed, "Aw, Ariel's being such a good girlfriend. I never thought I'd see this day." 

"Okay." I swatted Jace's hand away as he grinned. "Thanks." 

Hayley, who was sitting opposite me, chuckled. "I'd join in too but you're too far away." 

Jace pulled one of my cheeks again, receiving a hard slap to his hand from me. "Ow!" He cried. "That one was for you Hayles." 

"Thanks, babe." She leaned over, pecking him on his lips, smiling.

I noticed Nicole's expression of distaste as she changed the subject. "So, I was thinking we should do a group study." 

"Why are you talking about studying?" Jace queried, feigning interest. 

I grinned. "We all know that's code for wasting our time under the pretense of work."