14. Sneaking Around

"So," I began, yet another of my failed attempts at uncovering the truth. "Want to meet up at Richie's to complete the assignment?" Did that sound too desperate? But, at least, I had a valid excuse. 

To my utter disappoint, Sebastian shook his head. "I can't. I have plans. But I'll finish the homework earlier on myself." 

"I can do it," I offered. 

"No," he insisted. 

"I'll do it," I said again. "I haven't got much to do anyway."

"It's still the beginning of the day, Ariel." He sounded reasonable, almost chiding me. "Things will pile up."

"Or they won't," I said. "I'll be able to do it. Unless you're worried that I'm going to get all the answers wrong," I added, chuckling. 

"Of course not!"

"Then I'll do it."

"Ariel, it's a pair assignment." 

"Which is why I can't let you do it alone," I shot back. "We could meet just after school." There comes the sneakiness again

"Uh," he hesitated, frowning. "Like I said, I have plans."

"And I've got cheearleading at five," I said. "Won't you be done before that?" 

He shrugged. "I can't tell you for certain."

We were approaching my locker. It was now or never. "Is it with anyone I know?" 

That was low, Ariel, I mentally rebuked myself, but not too much since I found the situation hilarious all of  a sudden for some reason. 

Sebastian's demeanor changed in a moment. He looked uncomfortable and seemed to be fidgeting, rare for him since he was always so sure and collected and confident. His gaze wandered around the hallway before returning back to me. "It's with my . . someone I just became friends with." 

"Like a date?" I asked. He knew I was generally straightforward and I was in no mood to be restricting myself or exercising politeness. 

Sebastian paled. "No! Not like that." I noticed he didn't say that it was a male friend, unless he was gay which he isn't. but I didn't bother to point that out. "I'm just running some errands and figured it was a good way to get to know her." Her. "And now I have to get to class. See you later." He flashed me a smile, before walking away. 

It was obvious he was avoiding me and my questions. I would do the same thing if I were in his place, hence it was hypocritical of me to feel hurt hurt that he had decided to go away when usually he dropped me off at my next class. 

 I didn't realize that I had been staring at his departing back, motionless, until someone prodded my back. Turning around, I saw that it was Hayley, an amused expression on her face. 

"I saw that," she stated in a sing-song. "Did RiRi get abandoned?"

"RiRi is Rihanna," I couldn't help but point out. 

Hayley rolled her eyes, slamming my locker door shut for me before pulling me forward towards class. "So, what's up with Sebastian?"

"Nothing."

"So, there's no reason you looked like you were in pain when he left and then ended up staring at him like he was an original pearl necklace that got snatched away from you?"

"What is your point?" 

Hayley gave me an 'Are you serious?' look. So, maybe her description was accurate for how I felt. I loved pearls.