5. One After Another

This was where Sebastian Valdez got his beautiful eyes from.

I stopped as soon as the thought crossed my mind and took in a sharp breath. I did not just think that. 

To make matters worse, Mrs. Valdez heard me and turned around. "Is there something wrong?" 

I shook my head. "Not at all, Mrs. Valdez."

"Call me Dana, dear." She patted my shoulder. "Now come along. I had no idea you work here."

"I just started a few months ago," I said. 

"I'm not surprised," she said. "You always loved working. Where are you going to college?"

"I'm planning to apply at San Diego State University," I answered. "Otherwise, I guess it will be Los Angeles." 

"Oh!" She exclaimed. "You must go to San Diego. We just returned from there. It's such a lovely place and Sebastian's liked it a little too much, I think. He's hoping to move to that area for college as well."

I held back a groan. Did Sebastian Valdez really have to want to go to the same place I want to go for college? "That's nice," I said instead. 

"Sebastian told me he had met you," Mrs. Valdez continued. "I see now why he was so hesitant about giving more details." 

"Uh, why?" I asked out of curiosity. 

"Because you're so beautiful, of course," she said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I could feel my cheeks grow warm. "I think he may have not want to come off a little too strong about how you were like. I admit, I do push him towards girls. But can you blame me? I just want to see my son bring home a nice girl." 

I had to admit. I was way more than just curious now. Was she saying that Sebastian had never had a girlfriend? "He hasn't before?"

Mrs. Valdez sighed as she took a seat in one of the chairs. "Only twice. Once when we were in San Diego. But I didn't like her that much and thankfully, Sebastian didn't think she was a keeper either."

"Who was the other girl?"

"You, of course!" She exclaimed. "You've come to our home more times than any other girl has. With the exception of all the girls Francisco has brought home, of course," she said, referring to her older son. 

"Oh," was all I said, feeling slightly embarrassed. It was time to change the subject. "Did you come in for a facial?"

"Yes," she answered. "Do you have a list of all the different flavors you offer? I seem to have forgotten what all they were."

"Of course," I said and handed her the brochure that gave the information she required.

Marissa was hanging outside her office, an amused smile on her lips. I went forward to talk to her. "She wants a facial."

Marissa chuckled. "I didn't know Dana Valdez was back. She seems to like you a lot."

I bit my lip. "I guess so."

"I heard she's got handsome sons," Marissa added, smirking. 

"That's exactly my problem," I muttered. 

"Wow, you're the first teenager to have a problem with that." The brunette raised her eyebrow. 

"Whatever," I said. "Can you do the facial?"

Marissa laughed. "I'm the boss and you're taking over my job. But I will."

"Thanks." I sighed. "I'll work on everyone else as compensation."