18. Pre-Storm Symptoms

Author's Note : 
I know I've been away for a really long time and I can genuinely blame school for that. But I have been writing and I will be writing to get out another chapter ASAP. Meanwhile, please do let me know what you think of this chapter, because . . . things are gonna happen. :3
Thank you for all your support ♥ 

Dedicated to @thosedeepwaters for being just awesome in general. And prompting the faster completion of this chapter. <3

~

My day didn't start out well. 

I had a huge fight with Victor over breakfast because he had spread caramel sauce all around the kitchen counter. So, when I sat down to eat and placed my hands beside the plate, the sauce ruined my long-sleeved top. Due to the row that followed between us - after which I had to go upstairs again and change - I was late by the time I reached school. 

Sebastian noticed at once. "You looked better when you were ill than you look now," he said. Very flattering. Not. But, sadly, he was right. My shirt was slightly wrinkled, my hair wasn't cooperating today and my face was paler than usual. I would have to take a break in the ladies' room to wear some eyeliner so my eyes didn't look as bloodshot as they probably did. 

"Victor," I muttered as Ms. McCullers walked into the room. 

"Figures," Sebastian whispered back. 

 "Jessica Authors." Ms. McCullers' voice echoed around the room as she began to call roll. I settled back in my seat, not uttering a word throughout class, until the bell rang. Which was just as well because Sebastian was on my case even before we left class. 

"Was Victor the only problem you had today?"

"Yes," I said, honest. 

"Are you sure?"

"Of course!" 

Sebastian's brows shot up at the irritated tone in my voice. "Okay," he said, dragging out the syllable. "So, I'm the problem?"

I frowned. "No! Why would you think that?"

"Because you sound annoyed."

"Look." I stopped in my steps and turned to face him. "I'm fine. You didn't do anything wrong, so-" I cut off as a sugary voice called out Sebastian's name. 

"Hey,"  Sebastian greeted melody with a small smile. "How are you?"

She batted her lashes at him. "Good, now that you're here." Ugh. Gross.

I had just taken a step away when not a foot away from me, Melody leaned in and kissed Sebastian on the lips. That was all it took - the surprised look on Sebastian's face before his hands moved to hold her sides and kissed her back. 

I had been convinced that if I had ever liked Sebastian, it was only because of my fever haze. I wasn't think right then. 

Now, I wasn't so sure. 

My eyes had begun to stung from holding back my tears and I took a step back just as the two pulled away from each other. Sebastian turned to me his eyes widening but unreadable. 

"See you later," I said, my voice strained to hold back any betrayed emotion. 

Sebastian opened his mouth to speak, his hand moving as if to reach out for me. I backed away and turned around, leaving him behind.

I was aware of the wetness on my cheeks, but even more of another foreign feeling. My chest felt like it was clogged up. My breath came in gasps and it hurt distinctly to remember what I had just seen.