Chapter XIII || Snow

There is a tight feeling in my ear as I wake up. My stomach feels like it’s going to flop, for some reason. This only happens when I’m falling, but I’m still in Adam’s arms. The plane should be landing by now so I stand up and head for the back room, to get something warmer to wear. I find my beanie and a comfortable coat partnering with a pair of skinny jeans.

“Morning.” Willow smiles.

“Same to you.” I say politely in return. “How are you?”

“Excited! I’ve never seen snow before, let alone see a Snow Ghost.” She claps cheerfully. Willow slips on a thick, grey hoodie.

“Have you ever been off that island?”

“Nope. Only once when I was young.” She pauses like she’s thinking. “My brother and I hid there, away from Phantom. I knew they would come for us anyway so what’s the point? But I kept Noah safe and that’s all that matters.”

“Don’t you have parents?” I ask, hopefully not offending her.

“Killed by Phantom, actually died saving us.”

“I’m so sorry.” I felt such pity, I’m pretty sure no one had parents here.

“What do you think of Skylar and Noah?” I point to them, with their heads resting on each other.

“Skylar’s funny.” She laughs. “A bit of a ditz actually. But I’m glad she would do anything to save his life.”

“Ivy! Make the people down there let us land!” Skylar commands Ivy.

“Okay.” Ivy replies and uses her telepathy. Her eyes start flashing between blue, green, brown and hazel. Jace is looking through Skylar’s vials, taking a massive interest in them. The sky is all cloudy while beautiful snowflakes fall, luckily the sun isn’t out. Skylar changes her lilac dress to a jacket and jeans. I find a collared shirt for Adam then I return to my seat.

“Adam, wake up.” I whisper into his ear. His eyes show their iridescent colour.

“Are we in Canada?” He pushes his hair up.

“Yeah, get changed we’re getting off the plane.” He leaves to the back room and I slump back down in my chair.

©     ***

The door of the plane slides open and everyone exits one by one. The frosty air hits my face and I rub my hands together for warmth. It’s too cold for me, but I did like cold more than hot. Adam leaves his arm around my shoulder and brings my body in contact with his.

“So where are we going first?” Jace asks.

“Straight to the mountains, to find Yuki. We’re going to have to hike up there.” Skylar says, cleverly.

“Ah okay. How do you always know where to go?”

“I have a map which I studied for a whole night.”

“Right.”

We walk through the airport with all the humans peering creepily at me. I keep my head down, avoiding any eye contact with anyone. The airport is currently very busy; Vancouver is a nice holiday destination anyway. As we leave, we catch a tour bus so we could get close enough to the mountains to hike up.

The tour bus is filled with humans, making my mouth water from the smell of them. I had to control my thirst but my throat is burning. It’s like someone stuck a flame right down my mouth, to the pit of my stomach.