Mutants

First I could only hear it slithering across the tiled floor behind the counter then slowly the grating growl came from what can only be described as hideous. I peeked round the corner and there it was, hunched down in the corner; every child of this places worst nightmare... A MUTANT!
I scrambled backwards away from the first aid kit and mutant until I was safely hidden on the other side of the counter. The growling got louder and deeper as it realised I was here and could smell me, I instinctively held my breath and shuffled further back until I was against the wall and I could see the long pointy nose of my enemy.
As it slowly squirmed further around the counter I saw the snout of a mole but the head of a human boy, no younger than four or five. I held my breath and stopped, cornered and afraid, all I could do was look as it's head snapped to look at me. Now it knew where I was there was surely no escape for me and this was how I die, in a world full of war and crime it was a moleman that got me in the end. Never this close had I seen a mutant but now I was purely amazed by the way it moved. No arms or legs but a malnourished human body attached to a long single spike protruding from its spine.