Chapter 9: Traitors

As soon as they made it back to the cave, the lecture began. Andrew knew it was coming, he just didn't think they would put him through it while he was so tired. "You almost got yourself killed, not just once, but twice this night!" Dae exclaimed, "What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I'm alive?" Andrew shrugged.

"Is this all a joke to you?" Maura asked, "You realize there are lives at stake?"

"Yeah, I know." Andrew yawned, "They're the reason I'm willing to put myself into danger like that. My friends especially. You say I'm a leader because of my judgement, that's not it. I'm leader because I know what each person is capable of, and how to put that to best use. I'm on the front lines even though I'm physically the weakest on the team. Without my friends backing me up, right there by my side, I would be dead. On my own, I'm nothing special. With my friends, I'm unbeatable. Fighting with them, for them, that's what keeps me going. So don't tell me that I almost got myself killed, I was keeping the others from getting hurt. That is what matters."

"You need to think about yourself. What would happen without you?" Sari said.

"Sorry, Andrew. I'm with them." Jason told him, "You can't be getting yourself killed."

"You made each of us heroes." Carlos said, "Without you, I'd probably be sitting in class not even paying attention to the teacher instead of saving the world."

"I know, but that's why I'm ready to give my life for yours." Andrew sighed. "But right now I'm tired, so I'm going to bed." He pulled out his sleeping bag, found a comfortable spot on the cave floor, and fell asleep.

The next morning everyone was up early helping to set up some barricades around the cave. Carlos was busy digging an escape route incase one was needed. They were making good progress until they saw a group of horses coming along the path. "Everyone get ready." Jason said.

"Wait." Dae looked out to the horses. "I knew it." She pulled out a camera and used the high powered lense to look out farther. "It's Narius and the others."

Everyone disarmed and instead waited at the opening for the king to arrive. "Good morning." Narius said as he tied his horse with the rest.

"Welcome our King." the Sprite Mystics bowed.

"Hey Narius." Andrew put his hand out and Narius shook it.

"You're bold, I like it." Narius told him. He walked back down the path a bit. "Hurry up." he called out to the others. A while later, the other three came on their horses. There was Tarrus, Kira, and Jake. "Take long enough?" Narius asked.

"Not all of us had the best horse in the kingdom." Jake said, "But Spartacus here is a trusty steed." He patted his horse on the head after he tied it with the rest. "Wasup guys?"

"You ready to kick some evil butt?" Jason asked.

"Yeah man." Jake smiled.

"Hey Tarrus." Ava smiled at him.

"Hi." Tarrus waved back.

"So..." Andrew started after an awkward pause, "Let's talk strategy." They all walked into the cave and Carlos made a large, round stone table. "Carlos, you may consider being an interior decorator." Andrew joked, "You make good stuff."

"Here are the maps." Tarrus placed them on the table and rolled them out. All the flags were still intact and placed where the were supposed to be. Darius' castle was circled on a map of only the immediate area they were in. Even the cave they were at now was marked.

"The first problem will be getting inside the castle. There is only one way in, the front gate." Narius started, "They will be ready for us, so we'll have some trouble crossing the bridge."