Chapter 1: The Dark Return

Andrew Kane placed his journal on the bed beside him. He got up and walked over to a small window on the other side of the room. Andrew was about 5 ½ feet tall and 14 years old now. His dark brown hair was as rugged as ever, reaching to his ears and drooped to his forehead. He was wearing blue cotton pants and a red-and-black-striped hoodie. He looked out the window with yearning. He had just arrived to Norikai for the second time since he defeated Darius. The last time he was here to discuss how they would proceed from that point on. The Spite Mystics had wanted him and his friends to stay on Norikai to help protect it. Andrew declined the offer, he wanted to finish school and stay on Earth until they were needed again.

Now, two years later that time had come. They had been called back by the Sprite Mystics at the start of his Freshman year in High School. For right now though, they were waiting until the next morning when they would finally be told their new mission. "I don't like waiting." Andrew thought aloud.

He left the window and walked towards the door on his right, stepping out into the dark hallway. He started wandering the castle he was in. He kept going down the passage until he finally came to a stone balcony. It overlooked the castle gardens which were filled with flowers and many types of plants Andrew had never seen. There was a courtyard in the middle of it all. He went out onto the balcony and looked up at the stars. The constellations were all different here than they were on Earth. Still, the stars had a calming effect on him.

"I didn't think I'd find you out here." A girl's voice said. Andrew turned to see Sari, one of the Sprite Mystics. She was shorter than him, but not by too much. Her hair was much lighter now than before, now having bright blonde highlights. She wore a pair of black pajama bottoms and a pink long-sleeved shirt. She smiled at him and waved. "Hey Andrew."

"Hey." He waved back. "What's got you up so late?" He asked her.

"Nothing in particular," she said. "Just couldn't sleep." Andrew saw through her lie, but said nothing. "It's a beautiful night, isn't it?"

"Uh, yeah." Andrew nodded. He set his sights on the sky again. "Aren't you cold though, without a jacket?"

"I'm fine. It's not too cold." She replied. She was clearly thinking about something else.

"If you say so." He shrugged. If she didn't want to share what was on her mind, he wouldn't make her. Instead, he would just be there and enjoy the night.

Suddenly, the wind shifted. "It can't be," Andrew thought, "But it has to be them." Andrew shook his head, "They're coming!"

"What are you talking about?" Sari asked. "Who's coming?"

"The venceel. They're back." He responded. "We have to get the others."

"No." Sari said, "The venceel aren't back. You're mistaken."

"But I could always feel something right before they showed. I have that same feeling right now." Andrew told her. "I'm sure it's them.

"Impressive, you're very intune to the balance of dark and light." Sari told him, "The feeling you have is your ability to sense the shift of power. Darkness is growing. You are correct in saying the venceel are coming, but they haven't returned. They were never gone. That's why you are here."

"What causes the venceel though?" Andrew asked, "After we defeated Darius they all vanished. It's not like he was the source of them, was he?"

"No," she replied, "Darius was not the source of them, but they were drawn to him. His power of darkness gave him control over the monsters. When you defeated him, they were left without a leader and were drawn to areas with dark auras, such as Turtle Cave." She finished her explanation.