1. The Offer

Johan was having a mainstream Sunday.

He went bowling with his friend Logan even though he was horrendous at it. He didn't know why but he always felt an urge to bowl. Now he was back home sitting on his couch drinking a beer. You see, Johan was never really a socialite. He had four to five friends whom he would meet every week and when it came to his family, he resented them.

His father was never supportive of his career as a journalist. He thought it was a lame excuse for a job. Johan's mom was a whole different story, she always protected him but sometimes he felt rather pestered to see his mother treat him like an infant.

Johan wanted a break from life, he wanted to get away and be alone, and that's exactly what he got.

On Monday morning, his boss called him into his office. Johan took his boss as his role model. Mr.Kendrick was from America and he studied at Harvard law school, but gave up his practice when he realised that he was better off in the writing business. Mr.Kendrick also loved Johan's work, he would call him the younger and smarter version of himself.

Johan never found it appropriate to accept this compliment. Truth was, Johan didn't really know how good he was, he always felt like he could do better but didn't know how to.

Mr.Kendrick offered Johan a seat which he politely accepted. He couldn't read the expression on the wrinkled face of the old man, but he could see a kind of fire burning in his amber eyes. He knew this eagerness in the old man well, in fact he knew it too well. Last time when he had been called in, Mr.Kendrick sent him to Russia to cover a possible conspiracy, but that ended up being a hoax.

He wondered what the old man could possibly want him to do this time. Mr. Kendrick and Johan exchanged pleasantries and then Mr.Kendrick said, "Jo, I know things at home are complicated, but I need you to go to America for me. There is a client there, by the name Thea Ramos, and she thinks she is onto something big."

Johan wondered why Mr.Kendrick would pick him for something this big. He knew that Mr.Kendrick liked him but, this much? He doubted it.

He was supposed to leave for America in a week and from there Thea would help him out. He pondered over what kind of girl she was and how Mr.Kendrick got to know her, but all these questions disappeared when he sat down to finish his paper work.

Hey!
This is my first crack at writing after a long time. I would really appreciate any votes, comments and improvements you have to offer and the next chapter will hopefully be published by 25 March, 2016.

Varun