5. Finding Sam Walter

Thea and Johan woke up quite late the next morning and went out hunting for a place to eat.
They finally found a small stall, in a rather tiny street, where they sat and started to talk.

Johan asked her, "Do you know how Mr.Kendrick got his hands on those files? Also, is there anyone alive who has been to the MK-ULTRA Lab?"
To which Thea replied, "I don't know how Mr.Kendrick got those files, I never asked and he never told, but I have found a few names from the newspapers and other sources, I don't know whether they will cooperate or not though."

They finished their breakfast and headed back to the hotel. They had to plan what to do next, and Thea thought it would be appropriate to start questioning the remaining subjects of the program.

After 2 months of going through old and musty newspapers, Thea had managed to find 6 people who should still be alive, contactable and have some inside information.

The closest was a man named Sam Walter, who was around 70 years, he hadn't really been trying to maintain a low profile. From the information Thea gained, he spent most of his time in Caesars Palace, where he got the money to do so, she had no idea.

Thea told Johan to get suited up and be ready by 8pm and headed home. Johan still had loads of time before he was to be ready, so he opened his laptop and started to research about MK-ULTRA. Almost all the information he found on the Internet was already in the files, but the files also contained lots of extra information. He still wondered how Mr.Kendrick could gather this information.

The rest of the afternoon was rather uneventful for Johan, he watched television, tried some food he never heard of before and read the book 'A Spy and an Officer'. The book held his attention for almost three hours and when he looked at the time, it was already 6:30pm.

He was ready half an hour before eight, fully dressed in a black tuxedo and a white shirt. He would have worn a tie, only the problem was, that he didn't know how to and he wasn't in the mood to learn. Thea arrived at the stroke of 8, dressed in a dashing red summer dress.

Johan couldn't help but stare at Thea, she looked drop dead amazing. Thea walked up to Johan and closed his hinged jaw and winked at him.

Thea felt uncomfortable around the chauffeur, so she suggested sneaking out. Johan wasn't too excited about their plan. He wasn't too good at sneaking out of places, he never had the need to. They went to the lobby and saw the chauffeur waiting for them up ahead.

Thea went to the receptionist and said she needed to make a phone call, she called the chauffeur and told him they would not be going out today. In a few minutes, the chauffeur left and Thea and Johan walked out of the hotel. Thea hailed a taxi with practised ease. Caesars palace was full as ever, it would take quite some searching before they could find Sam.

Thea and Johan took rooms in Caesars Palace, so they could comfortably move around.
After an hour of searching, Thea and Johan went to the bar to have a drink, that's when they saw a stout man shouting over a poker table. He was surrounded and everyone's eyes were on him, it was pretty clear that he had drank a lot.

Thea said it might be Sam and showed Johan a newspaper clipping with his picture. Johan couldn't really tell as the picture was quite old and the face wasn't too clear, but the resemblance was uncanny. Thea told Johan to wait at the bar and she went to the poker table.

Johan could see Thea whispering something into the old mans ear and immediately the old mans eyes widened and a big smiled spread on his face. Thea and Sam were coming back to the bar and Johan could clearly make out that Sam was the man in the picture.

Johan got ready to face him, and any nasty surprises that might come his way.