Pt. 8

Save who a dance?

But now was not the time to wonder, I slipped on my shoes knowing they were going to hurt in 20 minutes. I turned to my mother, she had a loose braid shaping her face with small flowers scattered throughout. It was the same hairstyle she had in her wedding photo with my father. A smile crept up on us when we gave each other the once over, then the light tinkle of my mothers' laugh broke through the silence that had formed. The assistants were packing up and informed us that our belongings would be safe in this room, we headed out.

The party was starting to fill up now, there were senators, models, actors, and billionaires. We had heard the music start when we were up stairs but now it was crystal clear echoing through the halls, the orchestra was made up of famous musicians from all over the world. Currently, a rendition of a pop song was playing, the light melody was suited to the chat-like conversations of the people in the hall. This party was event was the kind people died to attend. My mother gracefully walked over to Mr. Leto's side, and he acknowledged her before returning to his conversation with the senator of New York and the C.E.O. of a major technologies company. I, however, stayed closer to the stair case where the children were seated. The nun with them was keeping them entertained with coloring books, which helped but they still squirmed in their seats. I walked the three feet over to their table, trying not to trip over my own feet, and sat down beside the young girl at the table.

"May I borrow a piece of paper Sister?" I asked

She nodded and handed me a thin sheet of colorful paper before turning her attention back to the two boys who had started to fight over one of the coloring books.

The little girl was wearing a dress with small delicate butterflies embroidered on the light pink lace so I took the nimble paper in my hands and started to bend it, folding it and manipulating it in my hands. I folded an origami butterfly and handed it to the young girl who was dazzled by my work, she smiled and held it close to her looking at it with affection. The nun glanced at me and thanked me for my help, I thanked her for the paper and asked if I could have two more, with two more sheets I made a red and a blue dinosaur for each boy. This made them very happy. I sat with them for a little longer before hors d'oeuvres started being served, one of my reasons for attending was to help out with sending out hors d'oeuvres and desserts. I bid my farewells to the children and the nun who looked a little more at ease and headed towards the kitchen.

Mum was already there making a waiter tuck in his shirt, and stand up straight. I hurried in and started handing waiter trays, most of them were aspiring actors or models hoping to get noticed so they were making their final adjustments fixing their hair and spritzing breath freshener. The first round of trays were out when another assistant got a page for mum to head back out, so she blew me a kiss while she fixed her dress.

A sigh of relief escaped, I don't know how mum can work at this pace every day.

I stayed in the kitchen until all the hors d'oeuvres trays had been sent out, after that, I was able to return to the party. I had been right my feet were killing me. I sat at one of the tables as Mr. Leto made his way up to the main podium to make his" Thank you for attending" speech. My mother had been called away to give a once over of the videos that were going to intersect with Mr. Leto's speech, but now she was standing at the base of the stairs next to the two other speakers of the night, waiting to usher them onto the stage at the right time. I was thankful that she got the rest of the weekend off after this, she was always tired after the big parties. Small giggles came from behind me, Mr. Leto was already oozing charisma through his speech, but my attention snapped back to the small high pitch ringing attacking my eardrums. I turned my head and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Heather standing with Alex, Parker, and Anne. Heather's voice pierced my ear and rung in my head for longer than it should have, her laugh pulling attention away from Mr. Leto every second. Heather was wearing a skin-tight silver dress that hugged every curve and showed all her assets. The deeper laughs of Alex and Peter attracted attention as well, but this time it was from Mrs. Leto who appeared behind them, all four faces turned white as they noticed the presence behind them, and it was I who was giggling now.