Pt. 5

As the bus rounded the corner I could see that the lights were on in the house, but it was still too early for mum to be home. I pulled the cord for the next stop and held on tight as the driver slammed on his breaks to let me off, I weaved through the garbage cans that blocked the entrance to the fire escape and climbed up to the walkway. It was faster this way and it had a beautiful view of the hills in the distance that reminded me of my home town, although I didn't get a good look at the time as I was fumbling with the bag. Finally, after almost falling a few times I managed to get over the rail and to the door. Grabbing the handle the door was unlocked, a bad habit that mum hasn't quite given up yet. I burst inside to greet my mother who was tending her plants, she spun around to greet me but her gaze landed straight on the dress.

" did you pick out a dress? Le'me see!" she squealed, she loves everything girly.

"not until Sunday" I replied being coy.

"awe come on! just a quick peek?" she whined "you've already seen mine" she referred to the dress Mrs. Leto picked out for her, it would be a flattering dress if it wasn't puce, mums pallet was more suited to coppers and greens, not reddish hues.

"Nope" I denied her request one last time before heading into the kitchen to stick my head in the fridge. Mum only huffed and puffed for a minute before returning to her flowers with a slightly sour face, but she would see something on the gardening channel and her mood would brighten.

I slipped into my room and hung the dress in my locking closet because I knew mum would try to sneak a peek at it while I was asleep. And threw my bag on to my bed flopped down beside it and pulled out my edition of Frankenstein to finish the last chapter of reading I had to do. The note from earlier fell on the floor along with my notebook, the small page had something new written on it.

"Because I gave you the notebook" It read, but I bought it at the art supply store down the road from me, but now that I thought about it it was the last one in stock on that day... I decided to skip my reading and run to the store which was only about ten blocks away.

I made it to the store right before closing but as I frequent it so much the owner didn't mind letting me in, but today I wasn't here to stock up on charcoal.

" that notebook you sold me last month" I started "where did you get it?"

the owner, a stalky old man with a huge handlebar mustache, gazed and me for a bit before diverting his eyes and replying

"it came in a shipment with the others" He fiddled with things behind the till for a bit before coming around the desk and making himself look busy.

" so why was it the only one left if you usually get stock on Thursday and I came in on Friday?" I confronted him, fully curious about how it came into my possession. The old man's eyes darted back and forth quickly.

" because we didn't get stock that Thursday for notebooks" his voice started to waver and after a minute of silent staring

"a young man told me to sell you that specific notebook and only you, and that I wasn't to tell you if you asked" he let out but soon after covered is mouth "please don't let on that you know" he spoke through his hands.

"I won't tell anyone...if you tell me what he looked like" the curiosity inside me boiled my blood, who wanted to give me that book.

" I don't know what he looked like he was about 6'1 but he had sunglasses and a hat on, he was quite the looker despite that, good build, long limbs, I'd sketch him if I could and his voice was velvety" the man went on " and he drove here in a red Aston Martin" that information was useless to me, and since I was already there I picked up some new watercolors and apologized for taking up his time.

I had returned home to mum cooking, gluten-free tofu lasagna one of her specialties. While I waited for supper to be ready I decided to check if the note had anything new on it.

"your really smart but sometimes you can miss the big picture" I felt slightly insulted by that

" when half the pieces are missing even Steven Hawking would miss it" my scribbled handwriting was almost illegible "and why won't you answer who you are? That's really creepy you know" again there was no reply by the time mum called me for supper I had given up on getting a response, I was still upset through supper until I went to sleep.