Pt. 4

I glanced back down at the note, there was more below it

" Its enchanted paper sort of like your notebook"

I looked down at my open bag and saw the notebook, it had a golden symbol on the spine. Glancing back to the page there was another line

" you know you can write back hey"

so I picked up my pen and scrawled

"how do they work?"

" they are made from an ancient tree, so don't waste it"

"ya but how?" I replied to the overly vague response.

"I don't know they just do" helpful.

"who are you? How did you know about my notebook" no response.

I stared at the note for a while before the buzzer rang for class to end, after English was drama, I gathered my things and set off to the drama room. when I tried to open the door to the drama it was locked, there was a note on the door. " NO CLASS FRIDAY" my jaw dropped, never in my year and a half of going to this school had the drama teacher missed a day even when she had pneumonia she was still in class. Oh well, I decided I should go buy my dress for the fundraiser seeing as I had free time, I walked to the north-west exit and out the school gates, heading this way I'd hit I strip mall sooner or later. I steered away from back allies as best I could because I was still in a rougher end of town, but finally, after about ten or so blocks I found a small strip mall that actually had a dress shop.

Ding-a-ling the bell above the door sounded, there was some rustling in the back and after a moment a little lady popped out of the back room

"Hi, there!" her voice Tinkled

 " How are you doing today?" She asked. I eyed her up and down her small stature made my 5'6 feel like 6' in comparison. Her head came to about mid-chest and her body was thin as a string bean.

"doing good" I said as I looked through racks of dresses.

"Getting an early start on prom?" she enquired

"no, fundraiser" I replied switching to a different rack. The lady snatched up her measuring tape and hurried over to me

"Those dresses are too big for you, how about I measure you and I grab a couple in your size for you to try?" the tape she held unraveled as one end fell to the ground. I looked at her hesitantly but soon nodded.

"Alright put your bag down in the change room and stick your arms out like a scarecrow" I followed her instructions, and she quickly measured me and ducked into the back. Five minutes later she came out with five or six dresses and hung them in the change room. The first dress was a pretty turquoise blue strapless cocktail dress with a jeweled waistband, and a slight sinch around the waist. There were no mirrors in the dressing room so I kicked my clothes to the side and exited the room and was greeted with a gasp. I stepped up to the three sided mirror and stared at myself. It was beautiful, so beautiful that I didn't believe it was me.

" you look stunning sweetheart, absolutely stunning" the lady said from behind me, she grabbed her step ladder and placed it behind me, shimmied up to the top of it and faced me. Quickly gathering my hair she pulled it back and pinned it up. "absolutely gorgeous" her compliments continued. 

"Alright next one!" she said pushing the ladder to the side. I hurried off to the change room to shimmy out of one and into another.

The second dress was a peachy pink strapless with a jewel and sequined embellishment across the bodice and lots of ruffles jutting out from the waist, it was a little more fancy than the blue one, but once I had it on its silky texture and lightweight feel made it seemed like I was wearing nothing at all. The third dress was a shorter, one shoulder, purple satin dress with a huge bow for the shoulder and another jeweled waist, this one a little bit thinner and more dainty than the first.

The fourth dress was stunning all on its own, it was a strapless light gold chiffon dress that sparkled like a golden firework exploding. The pale gold made my lightly tanned skin glow, and my hair seemed to turn dark amber with hints of red and yellow.

"..." the store owner stood there admiring the dress with a big grin on her face." I think we found it, wouldn't you agree?" I smiled at her comment seeing to add to the dress. The owner excuses her self for a minute and when she reappeared she held in her hands a small golden tiara. She pulled the ladder back out and climbed up it once more gathered my bangs, puled them back and secured them with the tiara.

" this is beautiful" I stammered " but its way out of my budget" my face seemed to have lost its glow.

" What is your budget" she quickly asked

" three hundred" I mumbled. There was a silence for a moment

" Well, what do you know that just so happens to be the grand total!" she said, the tinkle in her voice was overly prominent.

" you don't have to do that I know that it probably doesn't even cover the dress"

"NON-SENSE" retaliated the small woman 

"The dress is on mark down, its not prom season and its an older one, I'm still charging you in full for the tiara" she ended her sentence with a giggle that sounded like the bell above her door.

"Thank you!" I blurted out as I hugged her.

"My pleasure" she said handing me a card 

" Call me if you want to model for my store, I'll pay you with a prom dress" I smiled and headed back to the small room to change back into my street clothes. The lady put the dress in a hanger bag and the tiara in a smaller bag inside. I payed for the dress, hugged her one last time, and headed home.