Pt. 6

I slept soundly until about 5 am when my mother crashed through the door, in one hand she held a cup of coffee from the vegan cafe down the street, and a bag of what smelled like regular blueberry muffins, but turned out to be super vegan blueberry loaf, with ancient grains and organic blueberry's the size of cherries.

"Rise'n shine sweetie, big day today, big day" mum quickly said and dropped the loaf onto my lap. I noticed the notebook and note sticking out from under my covers, and I moved my leg so the blanket would fall over the corner that poked out. My mother droned on about the schedule for today, and how we had to bring our dresses to the banquet and change there.

Once my mother had left my room I ripped the blanket away from the note and stared at the couple lines that remained from the questions last night.

There was a reply. "I'm the one looking out for you, that's all" 

That's all? I asked my self as I went through the motions of getting dressed and pulling my hair back into a bun. That's all? As I shoved blueberry loaf down my throat almost choking on a massive blueberry. I sipped my coffee and carried my dress, still in its hanger bag, into the living room and hung it on the coat rack that moaned in protest to the weight of the dress. Mum was running around frantically making sure she had everything as I finished my coffee. Mum was always well organized until she had to do something, then everything and the kitchen sink went missing. I rinsed my coffee cup and placed it in the recycling bin before gathering my coat and bag. I walked into my room and automatically looked to see if there was anything new on the note, there was not, and then shoved the notebook and note into my bag and flung it over my shoulder. I stuffed a pair or gold heals into my bag, along with the little make-up I had and a pack of bobby pins for my hair. I would just pile it on top of my head and pin it down. I hurried back to mum who had everything she needed laying out on the kitchen table, and her dress hung on the back of a chair.

"Ready?" I asked. she glanced at me and with one last scan of the room she replied with a smile" Ready Freddy"

we loaded our arms and lugged everything out to our old '63 VW 1500, and headed to the hall where the fundraiser was being held later that night. We left the house at about 6:15 am but with L.A. Traffic we got there at about 7:55 am, which was a good time especially since our car struggled to do 40 miles an hour on a good day. Mum dropped me off at the side door before she went to park the car, I was to run in with some important papers for Mr. Leto while she found a spot. I jogged up to the side door almost getting smacked with the door as it opened from the inside. Alex came out the door much to my surprise and quickly noticed I was there and pulled the door back towards him.

"sorry! oh, sorry! I didn't think anyone else would be outside with all the things going on inside" he said stepping to see if I was OK.

"I just got here I'm running these..." I held up the papers " into Mr. Leto, while my mum finds parking." I replied indicating I was fine. Alex smiled a sheepish smile, which was new for him, and let me pass. Alex was never like that, especially not at school around heather and them, but for some reason, I feel like he puts up a facade at school. I continued my search for Mr. Leto and asked planner who then pointed me in the right direction.

"Mr. Leto! Here are the papers you needed, my mum will be in shortly." I puffed, slightly out of breath.

"Thank you Persephone" Mr. Leto's voice as rich and silky as always, He always insisted on calling me by my full name even though I said it was alright on many occasions. I could see why Mr. Leto was the founder of a multinational company because he seemed to glow in comparison to everyone else. Mr. Leto let me go when I said I was going to go help my mum carry things in, and I headed back the way I came trying to find my way around the labyrinth of displays and exhibits. The hall that Mr. Leto chose for this event was his favorite and had rented it at least twice a year, once was always the Christmas party, but they had done some renovations and now I was utterly lost. The corridors seemed to twist and turn in unfamiliar ways, finally, there was a door. I plunged into the room and instantly regretted it, the room was large and dark old tapestries hanging from the walls and ceiling. They were beautiful I had to admit, but their colors had faded to a lackluster of golds, tans, and pinks.

"Lost?" a voice asked from behind a large tapestry that hung from the roof, it was Haden.