Chapter Two

"If you follow me, you will only get lost. If you try to get closer, we'll only lose touch." Bring Me the Horizon, Don't Go

-

Chapter Two

"Honey, are you awake?" My mom nudges me softly.

I let out a deep sigh. Yesterday we got into a huge fight and I'm just not in the mood to talk to her.

"Honey, Eleanor, please talk to me. We need to talk about what happened." Her voice cracks at the end.

I turn over and stare at her in disgust. I can't forget the fight. I can't forgive her for the words she said.

But mostly, I can't forgive myself. 

Dr. Vasquez saves me from the confrontation by knocking on the door. 

"I heard back from Make A Wish," he begins (this perks me up considerably), "they said that they will try their absolue best to make this happen. Because Oli isn't as famous as many other people," I roll my eyes in disgust, "they said it should  be quite easy. Congratulations, Eleanor." He beams at the end. Then, his face turns solemn as he prepares to tell us the news on my health.

"Now, Ella, how are your bones? Are they still very sore?" He asks me, all seriousness in his voice.

I nod slowly, unsure of what this could mean. He sighs, clearly distressed.

"I'll have the nurses add more pain medication into your IVs alright?" I nod again.

"What does it mean?" My mom asks, her voice timid and afraid.

"It means the chemo isn't fairing well with her. The cancer is still there in a considerable amount. We are still forever searching for a way to save your daughter, Ms. Stone, but there is only so much we can do."

My mom cries at this news. I decide to drop our fight and i hug her tightly. She winces at my bony touch but soon melts into me, hugging me back. Once Dr. Vasquez leaves, she turns to me.

"Your father and sister should come this afternoon. They flew in last night." She informs me.

I silently cheer. I haven't seen them in AGES. You see, my parents are divorced and my sister and I were given a choice on who we wanted to live with. I chose my mom and my sister, Hanna, chose my dad.

Hannah and Dad live in California, quite a distance from Ohio. 

-

A timid knock sounds at the door. I look up excitedly as I see my fifteen year old sister and my graying father enter.

A smile breaks out on my face and they rush to hug me. 

"It's okay, Elly, you'll get better and then you'll have children and be a grandmother." My dad reassures me.

"Dad, there are two things wrong with that. One: I'm going to die, plain and simple. Two: even if I survive, the chemo has taken away my chances to ever have children." I didn't mean to come off as bitter, but his ignorance astounds and furiates me.

"Well," Hanna says after a moment of pure awkwardness, "I heard you're going to meet Oliver Sicks."

"Sykes." I correct her.

"Right." She says.

"And yes, I'm going to. In five days. To say I am excited is a pure understatement. It's all Joshua can talk about. He's beyond jealous."

My dad shifts uncomfortably. He's never liked Josh.

"You mean that gay boy? Still friends with him?" And this is why I chose my mom.

"Yes, Dad. I am still BEST friends with JOSHUA. He has a name you know." I point out.

"You're right, sorry. We shouldn't fight. We should treasure every moment we have with you." He squeezes my hand over the bed railing.

The rest of the evening we all curl up on my bed and pop in the world's worst movie: Twilight.

By the time Bella is dying, we're all dying of laughter. Some people find it strange how I'm so comfortable around the word "dying" but why shouldn't I? Yes, I'm dying, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cringe and cry every time I hear that word.

The only times I've cried over my cancer was when I was told I wouldn't be able to give birth and when I was told I was going to die.

I have vowed never to cry over cancer again. It's taken my health, but it can never take away my hope.

(A/N short chapter, sorry)