Chapter 28: A Brotherly Stroll

Once I'd gathered my wits after my encounters with James and the queen, it was abundantly clear that there was someone I needed to find. I made sure to avoid the rest of the debutantes, unwilling to get dragged into whatever monotony they were engaged in, as I hunted down my brother. Beelining for the one place I knew he haunted, I found him huddled over a desk in the massive royal library, dust motes swirling through the air as I approached.

"Vee," I whispered, startling him. He hastily folded the sheaf of papers he'd been staring at, slipping them into his jacket pocket as he rose. I opened my mouth to say something more, but he held a finger to his lips, taking my hand to lead me back the way I'd come, between the massive shelves and back through the heavy oak doors towards the ballroom.

"The master librarian takes great offence to both women and the spoken word in his library," Xavier explained, "I'm sorry for rushing you out like that, but apparently he's quick to ban rule-breakers."

"He takes offence to women?" I demanded, incredulous.

"I think he's under the impression your brains are filled with nothing more than gossip, flower petals, and fashion plates," Xavier said, winking. I harrumphed, before I remembered my reason for seeking him out.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

"Of course I am," he said, surprised, "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because you left last night before I could come back to find you," I said. Comprehension dawned on his face, but he put on a good show of smiling despite the pain in his blue eyes.

"You were occupied," Xavier grinned, offering me his arm, "Dancing with two of the most eligible men in the kingdom."

"Two? Ick, you mean Dorian?" I asked, pretending to gag. Xavier laughed.

"I do," he said, "If I loan you my jacket, would you care to talk a walk outside?"

"I would love that," I said. We snuck out through the empty ballroom, our footsteps echoing on the marble floor as we made for the terrace doors. Outside, the air was chilly but the sun was shining in earnest, a last hint of summer as the leaves fell from the trees. Xavier shrugged out of his jacket and draped it around my shoulders, his eyes landing on the necklace at my throat.

"You're attired rather finely for daytime," he remarked as we descended towards the winding paths through the gardens.

"I had queen lessons," I said, making a face, "Though I'd wager that I won't be invited back any time soon."

"Why not?" Xavier asked.

"Because I may have insulted the queen by chastising her for not valuing the lives of peasants," I said. Xavier barked a laugh.

"Perhaps it was unwise to insult the woman whose shoes you're aiming to fill," Xavier said, giving my hand a pat.

"I'd rather not think about filling those particular shoes, I doubt I'd fit them that well," I said, slipping my free hand into my brother's jacket pocket. I took advantage of his distraction, his auburn-haired head tilted to the sky to savour the sunlight, to stealthily unfold the papers.

"I'll have those back, please," Xavier said, his eyes still closed as he basked in the sunlight. My eyes flew over the writing and I realized that he'd expected me to pull such a trick.

"What is this?" I demanded, riffling past the first letter to a series of documents that looked like schedules and fee summaries. He opened his eyes, removing the papers from my fingers to carefully fold them and slip them back into the pocket of his jacket.

"I've been offered a place at the Royal Conservatory to finish my studies here in Highcastle," Xavier said, adding when he noticed my shellshocked face, "All my expenses, tuition, room, and board, will be paid."