Chapter 13

Timberpaw padded after Whitewing, Willowpaw and Acornfall while Rainsong brought up the rear. They were patrolling the Windclan border. A quarter moon had passed since Acornfall and her brother, Frogleap, had been made warriors, and the gathering was tomorrow. "Let's wait here." Whitewing, who was leading the patrol, mewed. Timberpaw sat down beside Willowpaw. The sun was already high in the sky. Bramblestar had sent the patrol out to wait for a Windclan patrol to ask them if they were going to the gathering. Bramblestar wasn't sure if it was safe to go tomorrow, but he had made it clear that if they were going, he'd only take warriors, no apprentices or elders. Timberpaw sighed as they waited. They should've gone earlier. He sniffed the air. "The patrol has passed this way today." He mewed to Willowpaw. The pale cream she-cat nodded. "I know, but we have to wait. Bramblestar said so." She mewed, touching his shoulder with the tip of her tail. He shrugged it off. "I never said that we shouldn't wait." He grumbled, glaring up at her. He sniffed the air again. Nothing. Only Windclan's scent markers. He crouched down, listening to his belly growling. He hadn't eaten that day, and he felt as hollow as an old rabbit burrow. Then Rainsong rose to her paws. "There they are." She mewed, flicking her tail into the Windclan territory. Timberpaw sprang to his paws to see five cats streaming down the hillside, their lithe, slim bodies and long, thin legs allowing greater speed and longer strides. The Windclan cats skidded to halt on the bank of the stream and one let out a threatening hiss. Timberpaw's fur bushed out and he arched his spine and curled his lip to show his teeth. Acornfall did the same and dropped into an attack crouch. But Whitewing slapped her tail over Timberpaw's ears. "We're here to talk, not fight." She reminded them. Timberpaw forced his fur to lie flat again, and Acornfall reluctantly rose to her paws. "Greetings, Lithestep." Whitewing mewed; her usually smooth voice was cold and calm. "What are you doing here?" A pale brown tabby tom snapped. Acornfall bent her head to whisper in Timberpaw's ear. "This is Duststorm. He has always been aggressive." Timberpaw nodded, his gaze raking over the five Windclan cats. Rainsong cleared her throat. "I don't see why we're not allowed to stand on our own territory." She murmured, gazing into Duststorm's green eyes. A light cream tabby she-cat glared at Timberpaw and the dark brown tom knew that if it would come to a fight, he would have to fight with her. A gray tabby she-cat stepped forward. "You must have a reason to have been waiting there." She mewed to Whitewing. The white she-cat nodded. "Yes, Featherpelt. Bramblestar sent us to ask you if you were going to the gathering tomorrow." She mewed, her green eyes expressionless. A growl rose in the fifth cat's throat. He was a light grey tom with darker flecks. "Why shouldn't we?" He growled, the fur along his spine rising. "Maybe because a cat from each clan was killed at the last gathering and we're not sure if it's safe to go." Acornfall hissed, her patience running out. Timberpaw longed to sink his claws into a Windclan cat's fur, but instead he dug his claws into the tough moorland grass. Letting out a yowl, the grey tom dropped into an attack crouch, ready to spring. But as he leaped off the bank, Featherpelt bowled into him, sending him crashing to the ground. His hind legs slithered off the bank but he managed to sink his claws into the bank and dangled helplessly over the stream. Duststorm and Lithestep show towards him and heaved him upwards while the grey tom scrabbled at the mud with his hind legs. "You're a featherbrain, Rainfur." Featherpelt hissed before turning back to Whitewing. "Yes, I think we're going to the gathering tomorrow. Although I think Larkstar will take a large patrol only consisting of warriors." The gray tabby she-cat mewed. Whitewing dipped her head. "Yes, so is Bramblestar. Thank you, Featherpelt, we'll be on our way now." The white she-cat mewed and Featherpelt nodded to her as Whitewing led the patrol back home.

Timberpaw padded after Whitewing into camp, followed by Rainsong, Willowpaw and Acornfall. "I'll report to Bramblestar." Whitewing mewed and bounded away to the highledge. Pigeonpaw and Oakpaw bounded up to him while Willowpaw trotted away to the fresh-kill pile. "Hollytuft and Honeyleaf are taking us to practice our battle moves, and they suggested we'd take you can Cloverpaw as well." Excitement surged up inside Timberpaw. He loved battle training! He nodded eagerly and Pigeonpaw spun around and dashed back to his mentor, Honeyleaf, who was calmly talking to Hollytuft. "Where's Cloverpaw?" Hollytuft asked them after she nodded to Honeyleaf. Timberpaw shrugged. Fernpaw bounded up to them. "She went out hunting with Sorrelstripe, Swiftpaw, Poppyfrost and Stormcloud." She mewed, her legs trembling with excitement. "So can I come in her place?" She asked, her voice high-pitched. Hollytuft and Honeyleaf exchanged glances before shrugging. "Yeah, sure." Timberpaw bounded after the black she-cat as she led the patrol out of camp.