Chapter 14

Cloverpaw trotted after Fernpaw as they brushed their way into the nursery. The light brown tabby she-cat was surprised of how small the entrance was now. After only a moon of being an apprentice, she felt as if she'd grown into a warrior. She remembered being a kit and just sliding through the entrance. Now her fur brushed past the prickly thorns. Through the gloom, Cloverpaw could see Lionblaze curled up around Cinderheart. And in the curve of Cinderheart's belly squirmed three kits. Lionblaze was snoring loudly so Fernpaw stretched out her neck to sniff a russet tom. Then she let out a squeal of surprise when Cinderheart lifted her head. The queen twitched her whiskers in amusement. "No worries, Fernpaw. You're aloud to sniff them." She purred. Fernpaw dipped her head and sniffed each and every kit. "Welcome to Thunderclan, little kits." Cloverpaw mewed over Fernpaw's shoulder. "Have you chosen names yet, Cinderheart?" Fernpaw asked, stepping aside so Cloverpaw could brush past her and sniff the kits. Cinderheart nodded and touched the russet tom with the tip of her tail. "This is Redkit." She mewed before touching a jet-black tom with long limbs. "This is Spiderkit. He reminded us so much of Spiderleg, who disappeared a few seasons ago." She mewed and nodded to Lionblaze. "And this is Silverkit." She mewed and touched a beautiful silver she-kit with barely visible stripes. "They're beautiful." Cloverpaw purred and Fernpaw nodded. "Congratulations, Cinderheart." The light grey she-cat mewed and craned her neck to touch her nose with Cinderheart's. Cloverpaw then led her sister out of the nursery. She looked up to the sky. The sun was sinking behind the treetops. Bramblestar would have to choose the cats that were going to the gathering soon, Cloverpaw knew. She shook herself, fluffing out her fur against the chill that hung in the air. The barrier rustled and Dewnose led Flamingheart, Cherryfall, Swiftpaw and Stormcloud into camp. Cloverpaw still wasn't use the stump Dewnose had instead of a tail. Bramblestar hurried down the tumble of rocks with Squirrelflight on his tail. The two cats bounded over to the patrol and Fernpaw and Cloverpaw exchanged glances before edging closer until they were in earshot. "What did Shadowclan say?" Bramblestar asked, the tip of his tail twitching slightly. "They'll take both apprentices and warriors." Dewnose mewed, unsheathing his claws. Bramblestar nodded. "Alright." He murmured before turning around and bounding up the tumble of rocks and yowled out the clan summons. Brightheart led Cloudtail, Thornclaw and Brackenfur out of the elders' den, but Graystripe had been on his way to the nursery and sighed and padded stiffly back toward the other elders. Icefeather, Ivypool, Frogleap, Berrynose and Molewhisker emerged from the warriors' den while Willowpaw, Timberpaw and Oakpaw hurried out of the apprentices' den. And finally the whole clan was settled. "I will be taking both apprentices and warriors tonight." Bramblestar announced as he gazed down at his cats. Murmurs of surprise rippled through the cats below him. "But we will take a large patrol, and no one is to leave the clearing, not even to make dirt." The dark brown tabby tom mewed. Then he added. "I will be taking Leafheart, Mousewhisker, Cherryfall, Acornfall, Ivypool, Frogleap, Snowbush, Dappledwillow, Timberpaw, Willowpaw and Swiftpaw." Cloverpaw glared at Timberpaw. His eyes were shining. It wasn't fair! Why was he allowed to go and not she, Oakpaw or Fernpaw? She snorted and shook her head as Bramblestar dismissed the meeting with a flick of his tail.

Cloverpaw bounded after Sorrelstripe, Lilyheart, Molewhisker and Icefeather as they sprinted towards the Shadowclan border. Prey scents wafted around her and she fought the urge to turn away and follow a rabbit trail. But they were going to mark the borders. Lilyheart, who was leading the patrol, stopped in front of a large lightning stricken tree. "Molewhisker and Icefeather, you go that way, Sorrelstripe, Cloverpaw and I will mark from here down to the shore." She ordered. Icefeather nodded and began marking the border with Molewhisker. Cloverpaw sprayed her scent on a small holly bush while Lilyheart marked a bramble thicket. As they made their way down to the shore, a whiff of an unfamiliar scent hit her nose. Cloverpaw stopped and sniffed the air. "Sorrelstripe, do you smell that?" She asked with her nose in the air. The brown she-cat bounded up to her and sniffed the air, then her eyes turned horrified. "Oh no." She whispered, the fur along her spine rising. Cloverpaw let out a small mew of fear. Lilyheart sprinted up to them. "What is it?" The brown tabby and white she-cat asked, the tip of her tail twitching anxiously. "Twolegs." Sorrelstripe murmured to the other warrior. Twolegs? "Are you sure?" Lilyheart asked, her voice trembling. "Sniff for yourself." The dark brown she-cat mewed. Lilyheart thrust her nose into the air and opened her mouth to take in the smell. "Foxes too." She mewed, her gaze fearful. "What do we do?" Cloverpaw asked nervously. Lilyheart looked thoughtful for a moment. "We continue marking the border before talking to Icefeather and Molewhisker to see if they scented it too." She mewed and continued marking the border.

Finally, they finished marking the Shadowclan border and met up with Icefeather and Molewhisker. Lilyheart had already told them about the scents, and to Cloverpaw's dismay, Icefeather and Molewhisker had smelled it too. "Let's report this to Bramblestar before he leaves for the gathering." Lilyheart mewed and sped away into the undergrowth. Cloverpaw sprang after her. Icefeather bolted past her, swishing her fur. Molewhisker hared after her and Sorrelstripe brought up the rear. Lilyheart skidded to halt in front of Bramblestar who let out a startled yowl as she almost crashed into him. "Lilyheart? What's going on?" He asked, exchanged a surprised glance with Squirrelflight, who stood by his side. "Twoleg and fox scents mingled together." Was all Lilyheart had to mew to make Bramblestar look worried. "Did you see any fox traps?" He asked, his amber eyes concerned. "No, we didn't stick around to find out." Lilyheart murmured. Bramblestar nodded. "Alright, but any trouble with Shadowclan?" He asked as someone called from the back of the group what was taking so long. Sorrelstripe shook her head. "Nothing, although they are keeping their boundaries fresh." Bramblestar nodded slowly, a grim look on his face. "We'll talk about it when I get back." He mewed and then he swished his tail and bolted up the steep slope toward the shore. Cloverpaw watched enviously after Timberpaw as he raced on beside Willowpaw. Then she whipped around and stomped back into camp. The moonlight bathed the clearing into a luminous silvery light. Silverpelt blazed overhead. But Cloverpaw hurried to the apprentices' den. As she squeezed into the den, she heard the pitter-patter of paws behind her. Fernpaw's scent hit her nose. "Leave me alone." She muttered as she wove around the nests until she came to her own. Fernpaw watched her as she slumped down into her nest and curled up and tucked her tail over her nose. "Wow, are you this angry that you weren't chosen to go to the gathering?" Fernpaw asked disbelievingly. Cloverpaw's head shot up, her eyes blazing. "Yes! It's not fair that only Timberpaw could go." She snapped, glaring at Timberpaw's nest. Oakpaw squeezed inside, his eyes glazed with tiredness. "Timberpaw is bigger than all of us, and he's a great fighter." Fernpaw tried to soothe her sister, but Cloverpaw was still angry. She was just as good as her brother! They'd been apprentices just as long as the other. She snorted and dropped her head on her paws. Then, a thought struck her mind. "Pigeonpaw told me that you won Timberpaw in a mock fight in the training hollow!" Cloverpaw snarled. Fernpaw flinched, her eyes wild with a feeling Cloverpaw couldn't pinpoint. Then Fernpaw rolled her emerald green eyes before stalking out of the den. Oakpaw stared after their sister as he settled into his nest. Then he turned his head toward Cloverpaw, but the light brown tabby and white she-cat just glared at him. She didn't want to talk to anyone. "What was that all about?" Her brother asked, but Cloverpaw had already closed her eyes and she didn't intend to open them until the day after.