Chapter 20

Fernpaw waited impatiently for the patrol to leave. Bramblestar had picked Dewnose, Whitewing, Stormcloud, Poppyfrost, Lionblaze, Flamingheart, Pigeonpaw, Oakpaw, Brackenfur, Thornclaw and Cloverpaw to go to the gathering. Ambermoon sat beside Fernpaw, her tail flicking back and forth. They hadn't visited the Renegades since the battle, which was now half a moon ago. She fidgeted in excitement when Bramblestar finally leaped down the tumble of rocks. He hurried over to Icefeather who was talking to Molewhisker. "Is everyone ready?" The Thunderclan leader asked. Icefeather craned her neck to see over the patrol before nodding. "Yes, Bramblestar." She mewed before turning around and touching Molewhisker's nose with hers. Bramblestar flicked his tail as he padded past the patrol and then racing through the entrance, the other Thunderclan cats speeding after him. "How will we get out?" Fernpaw asked Ambermoon, leaning towards her. Ambermoon silenced her with a lash of her tail as Frogleap and Rainsong padded pas, pelts brushing. Ambermoon's gaze followed them until they entered the warriors' den before turning to Fernpaw. "Follow me." She ordered in a whisper as she brushed past her. The grey she-cat bounded after her as silently as they could. Ambermoon stopped in front of the entrance and craned her neck and raked her gaze over the camp. She gasped and pushed Fernpaw inside when Birchfall padded out of the warriors' den, yawning as he hurried to the camp entrance, going to keep watch for a while. Ambermoon squeezed inside after her and Fernpaw pushed through the entrance, thorns scraping against her pelt. She shook her fur as she emerged into the dirtplace. She opened her mouth to speak but Ambermoon had already shot past her. Sighing, Fernpaw pelted after her. She fluffed out her fur as they bolted through the undergrowth. She breathed out small puffs of cloud into the cold night air. Frost glittered on the forest floor and on the plants all around her. Excitement pulsed through her. She couldn't wait to see Coal, Diesel and Alex again!

Fernpaw was panting hard when they scrambled to halt outside the small forest, the home of the Renegades. Ambermoon let out a low yowl. The sisters, Zora and Cora, dropped out of a beech tree, their lithe, delicate bodies flexing in the moonlight. "Greetings, Ambermoon, Fernpaw." Cora mewed. Her deep feminine voice sent a shiver running through Fernpaw as she dipped her head. "Welcome." Zora mewed and stepped aside. Fernpaw bounced eagerly inside, while Ambermoon padded more slowly inside after her. Tucker was leading Selma, Hawk, Winston, Twigs and Leo out for patrol and he nodded to Fernpaw and Ambermoon as he padded past them. Bilbo and Shadow were tussling outside a prickly bush. The trinity was clawing their way up The Oak, their fluffy white pelts easy to spot. Bella and Stella were sharing a rat while Ruby, Smokey and Chloe were devouring a rabbit. Delight washed over Fernpaw when she saw Coal, Diesel, and a white she-cat padding out of a canopy in The Oak. They trotted along the branch and then Alex let out a yowl when he saw Fernpaw. Fernpaw pelted towards them, spraying up fallen leaves behind her. Her friends hurried through The Oak before leaping down the trunk. Fernpaw almost bowled into them in her exciment, but skidded to halt a tail-length away from them. She nuzzled Alex before running her cheek along Coal's, that both gave out a purr. Diesel flicked a white she-cat's ear beside him before stepping forward and nuzzling Fernpaw briefly. "I've missed you so much!" She mewed, her voice high-pitched. "Yeah, we've missed you too. Where have you been?" Alex added, exchanging a glance with Coal. Fernpaw shivered as she thought about the last battle. "I'll tell you later, but who's this?" She asked with a glance to the white she-at. Alex opened his mouth to speak, but she spoke before him, stepping forward and dipping her head towards Fernpaw. "I'm Juniper, and I joined about a moon ago or so, but I never got the chance to introduce myself." She mewed. Fernpaw pricked her ears. She had a strange accent, and it kind of reminded her of Brook. Her mother's parents, Whitewing and Birchfall, had told her about the mountain cat, Brook Where Small Fish Swim, and had copied her accent. She had also heard many stories about the Great Journey and the Tribe of Rushing Water. Could Juniper somehow be ascended from the tribe? Shaking her head, she mewed. "I'm Fernpaw, nice to meet you." Fernpaw stretched out her head to touch Juniper's pink nose with her black one. Her eyes then landed on Juniper's pink collar. She was a kittypet? Pushing the thought away, Fernpaw padded to The Oak. "Come on, I have a lot of things to tell you." She mewed as she dug her claws into the bark and scooted up the tree.