Chapter 25

"No, I have to go with them!" Fernpaw yowled at Jayfeather as he tried to stop her from going out of his den. She let out a hiss of frustration when she saw the patrols disappearing out of camp. "Fernpaw, you aren't strong enough yet." He mewed, trying to keep his temper under control. She unsheathed her claws. "I saw a vision yesterday, the dogs! I just told you! Someone is going to die!" She mewed. She fought the urge to rake her claws over Jayfeather's face, but she couldn't attack her medicine cat. "That is that cat's destiny, you cannot change that!" Fernpaw stopped wriggling. There had been something more behind Jayfeather's words, a strong emotion. "There must be something I can do to prevent it." Fernpaw croaked miserably. Jayfeather sadly shook his head. "A destiny is not something a cat can change." He mewed then jerked his head around when Rosepetal burst out of the nursery. "My kits! My kits!" She screeched. Fernpaw's eyes widened and she felt her heart racing in her chest. She hurried out of the medicine den, Jayfeather at her heels. Hazelkit was pattering after her mother, staring in horror up at the dark cream she-cat. Fernpaw felt anger inside her, but she pushed it away. Glancing at Jayfeather, she made up her mind. Springing away, she raced to the nursery. Sniffing around, she finally caught the kits' scent. With her nose to the ground, she followed the scent. They had been clever, and kept to the shadows, following the barrier until they entered the dirtplace tunnel. Horror and dread swelled up inside her. They had gone into the forest. She swung her head around when someone touched her shoulder. Her eyes met Coalpaw's. "Let me come with you." He whispered. Fernpaw wanted to say no, but she would like to have her friend by her side. "Okay, let's go." She mewed before racing out of camp. The followed the kits' trail. They pushed through the undergrowth, their noses in the air as they concentrated on the missing kits, careful not to lose their scents. They heard distant barking, and they froze when screeches and yowls echoed through the forest. "I hope they'll be okay." Fernpaw murmured before calling out in a low voice. "Foxkit?" Nothing. "Toadkit?" She yowled again. Then, a faint squeal sounded from a distance. "Did you hear that?" Coal breathed, and Fernpaw felt hope rapidly rising in her chest. "Icekit!" She yowled on top of her lungs. A mew of distress and relief sounded from the forest. Fernpaw pelted onwards, Coalpaw by her side. "Hurry." He mewed as they leaped over a fallen tree trunk. "Where are you?" Coalpaw yowled as they landed on the other side. Fernpaw skidded to halt when the scent stopped abruptly. Then, movement caught her eye. She whipped around, and saw Icekit and Foxkit slowly creeping out of a hollow tree trunk, their bodies plastered with cobwebs that had been delicately woven by spiders in the trunk. "Where's Toadkit?" Fernpaw mewed, her relief fading like mist in the morning. Foxkit and Icekit exchanged worried looks. "We don't know." Foxkit whispered, sadly looking down at his paws. "The dogs were chasing us, but Toadkit told us that we should hide while he led them away." Icekit mumbled, her blue eyes sad and she flattened her ears to the back of her head and looked at her brother. Cold claws of fear gripped around Fernpaw's heart. Please, Starclan, let him be alive! She begged. "Coalpaw, can you take them back to camp?" She asked, glancing from her friend to the two kits. She flinched when Icekit let out a wail of fear and sadness. "Hey, it's alright, Icekit. I'll find him." I hope. "Fernpaw, it's not safe." Coalpaw whispered, flinching as a loud screech echoed through the trees. She gazed into his yellow eyes. "You know I'll be alright." She whispered before giving him a quick lick on the cheek and turning to the kits. "Don't leave Coalpaw." She mewed and added. "Good luck." Before spinning around and bolting into the undergrowth. She hadn't gone far until the salty tang of blood met her nose. No. She pushed through the bracken, her heart pounding in her chest as her mind raced. What would she find? She gasped when she brushed past some brittle bracken fronds. Dog scent covered it, and to her horror, she saw scarlet liquid scattered all over it. Pushing through the fronds, the scent of fear and death seemed to be going to choke her. She sighed in sadness and dropped her head when she saw Toadkit's body hidden under the bracken. She could feel invisible pelts brushing against her, and she knew that Starclan's warriors were coming to lead Toadkit on his road to Starclan. She gently placed a paw on his flank. She could feel coldness when her pad touched his black and white pelt. "Take care of him, please." She whispered without taking her eyes off him. "We will, Fernpaw." Fernpaw felt her heart break when she heard Ambermoon's voice beside her, and then the forest went still and empty. Bending her head, she gently grabbed Toadkit between her jaws before turning and padding back to camp.