Chapter 1

His warm body wrapped securely around me, keeping me not only warm, but also protected. His heart beating steadily against my shoulder blade as his face nuzzled sweetly against the top of my head. The feeling I got from his body against mine, always with one of his legs linked over both of mine, as though it would keep me from leaving the safety of his arms when the morning sun came streaming through the window. The gentle touch of his calloused yet soft fingers drawing random patterns on the bare skin of my forearms or my hips where his shirt would ride up on my figure. He was the reason I woke up every morning and fell asleep every night with a smile on my face. Never in a million years would I give it up for anything. However, I had to when it came time for him to go on tour. It was impossible for me to get out of my career for three months just to be on the road with him. The label as well as the fans would have been furious at me.

So here I was, sat in bed with my knees curled up and my chin resting on top. My arms were tightly wound  around my legs and my back was leaning against the silver mohair headboard. A cool breeze drifted lightly through the window that was open a crack. It was a sweet smelling breeze, summer-like in a way even though it was only the end of April. The faint moonlight mixed with the soft glow of the radio on it’s off mode that sat across the room on the maple hardwood floors.

Looking to my left in the oversized California King bed with a smile, it quickly faded as I saw no one there. I took another look around at the bed I normally shared and felt smaller than I truly was. The comforter seemed as though it could swallow me whole as it was pooled around my feet keeping my newly pedicured toes warm.

I longed for Nathan to be home in bed with me. Curled around me as he whispers sweet nothings into my ear, or singing in a hushed tone like he had when I had fainted just a few days after we had met at the club. I only have to sleep on my own for another month or so though before he comes back from the world tour with the boys.

“At least I’ve got you Harry.” I said quietly as I leant my upper half over the edge of the bed and pulled up the bed skirt.

Harry was sat there amongst his toys that he had dragged under as soon as we had set up the bed when we moved in. It was a simple task for a majority of them, like his stuffed penguin and rubber newspaper. Others, however, proved a bit more difficult, like when he wanted to bring his ‘I [Heart] NY’ teddy bear and his wicker basket that he slept in.

As soon as I pulled up the bed skirt, Harry came skittering out and just about plowed his way right back under after making a u-turn. I laughed lightly as he sat there just looking dumbfounded for a moment.

“You kind of have to jump boy...” I said through giggles as he just stared at me with a blank expression.

“Oh, come ‘ere.” my slight accent that I had acquired rang through the air as he came out and I skillfully picked him up with one hand.

Just as I set him on the bed, something that only happened when Nathan was gone, Harry made himself comfortable in the space where the two king size pillows met. After he turned his body around to look at the foot of the bed like a watch dog, I settled in once more and scratched behind his ear gently till we both fell asleep.

I woke up at half seven in the morning to Harry sitting on my stomach and staring me straight in the eyes. As soon as my eyes opened, he pounced on me while licking my face wildly.

“Well someone is happy that I’m awake.”

I smiled and sat up while pulling him into my lap as he had somehow clung onto my shoulders.

“Come on buddy. Let’s get you some breakfast.”

Nathan’s POV

“If I could please have your attention,” the dreaded voice came over the speakers again.

I was about to groan but it was interrupted by a hand that I knew belonged to Jay, who was currently sat behind me. He shot me a warning glance over the top of the large business class seats. Just rolling my eyes as he removed his hand and sat back, I looked at my oversized Diesel watch for what was easily the seventh time since we boarded this horrific train over two hours ago. We had gotten on in Munich to go to our next gig in Paris and I could still see the station. The conductor first claimed it was traffic, then passengers, then traffic again.

“We are experiencing delays due to a herd of cattle that have wandered onto the tracks. We apologise for the inconvenience.” the voice finished.

I was about ready to get off this slow boat to China and move the cattle myself. After thinking and concluding that that isn’t an actual option, I turned around and stood up with one knee on the seat to look at Jay.

He was rocking his head to the bass of the music that he was listening to on his Beats. Once he caught sight of me, he pushed them down around his neck and sighed.

“Club car?”

I just nodded in agreement as he stood up and the two of us made our way through a few cars before getting to the club car. As I sat down in one of the empty booths and Jay got us both teas, the train finally jolted forward into motion and the scenery started passing by quicker and quicker. I sighed audibly as I thought of how much Soph would’ve loved to see the mix of budding and bare trees along with the occasional wildflowers near the tracks.

“You miss her don’t you?” Jay enquired as he sat down across from me and handed me my tea that was fixed just how I liked it.

I nodded slowly as I looked down at the white plastic lid on the hot beverage cup that has little wisps of steam rising from it.

“There’s always something in everything I see and do that reminds me of her, and how I can’t have her with me at this moment.” I confided quietly as I took a sip of my tea.

“Well she isn’t going anywhere, regardless of whether or not you put that rock on her finger.” he smiled as he wiggled the finger of his left hand at me.