Deeper Truths

The drive home from Granny's was quiet for the two women. Samantha could tell Belle wanted to know more, but she still wasn't too sure about the older woman. Although, Sam had some questions of her own.

"Let me ask you this, Belle. Why is it that your husband seemed to get sick every time I mentioned that Hades is my dad?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself. Rumplestiltskin is a complicated man. I mean, not many do like Hades, and certainly no one would think him capable of loving a child. Rumple told me that he took my memories of my time in the Underworld because they bothered me so much. But The Underworld changed Rumple, too. He thinks I haven't noticed, but I see the way he looks at me. Something happened to him down there but he won't speak of it. I can't count how many time I've found him asleep in his study with a bottle on his desk. I always put the bottle back in his desk and leave him there. He thinks he's remembered to put it away and just fell asleep. He's a proud man, my Rumplestiltskin. If I remembered what happened down in the Underworld, I might be able to help I'm deal with this, but because I don't, I can't. We never let it affect our marriage, though. We've been through worse."

They pulled up to the salmon colored house as Belle finished. She looked to the young girl beside her, a bit surprised to see understanding and slight concern on her face.

"I'm sorry. My dad seems to have that affect on people."  Belle heard sincerity in her voice, though it brought little comfort. She managed a small smile nonetheless. Belle showed Samantha inside and upstairs to the guest room. "Thank you, Belle. I promise I won't overstay my welcome."

"Don't be ridiculous - you are welcome here as long as you wish!" Belle was suddenly overcome with her own concerns, "But you don't have anything with you. Do you always travel empty-handed?"

"Oh, I'm not empty-handed," Samantha quipped.  A sly grin came across her face as she snapped her fingers, causing a small suitcase to magically appeared on the bed. Belle gasped. This girl was full of surprises.