Chapter 5

Jessica's POV:

Christina let me go and Matt and I slowly stood up. This is going really well. I nodded my head towards the door and he nodded back. In a flash we both raced past a stunned Lisa and out the door.

"Park," he told me. I nodded in recognition and we jogged to the park ignoring the girl's calls to come back. Once we got to the park we quickly got drinks from the fountain and started walking.

"Do you think it worked," Matt asked me.

"It'll be close. He saw the exchange and the fight was pretty real and painful," I replied.

"You saw him in the tree," he asked sounding surprised

"Of course I did. My eyes are very keen when it comes to that kind of stuff," I replied in a hurt tone

"You have a slight nose bleed, and I would get that eye looked at," he said with sincerity.

"You've got a nice shiner on your cheekbone yourself," I said grinning.

"Do you think we should go tell Dad and Nick," he asked.

"Sure, let's go."

Okay, so you're probably wondering 'what is going on?' Who is the guy in the tree? Why are Matt and I so chummy now? Well one this was a setup and two Matt is my cousin. No, we weren't trying to setup one of the girl's. In reality most of this is staged. I work with the Nashville Police Department and we are trying to solve a case regarding an escaped convict. He was in jail for sexual assault on a minor and he still had 25 years to serve before he escaped. He has been missing for five years now we believe he was dating Christina and when he asked Christina to be his girlfriend and she declined. Now we believe he is after Lisa he asked her to be his girlfriend and she declined. He swore he would get even with her and we are now waiting for an attack to be made we expect kidnapping but with these kinds of people you never can tell. Now you're probably saying 'didn't your dad go to jail?' No. That was my stepdad. My mom really did die though. I choose to be adopted instead of living with my cousins because all my cousins except Nick and Matt and 2 others hate me. It's fine though I don't really like them either.

"Ready," Matt inquired.

"Ready," I confirmed. We started walking towards the police station to go tell Uncle Cain what we had found out.