~Fourteen~

(The song for this chapter is Made of Stone by Matt Corby)

Where is your dignity?

Thoughts raced through my head, mind desperately pleading me to cease, but I couldn't. Not now.

In one swift movement, he pulled his unbuttoned shirt off of his shoulders. "I've wanted so painfully to make love to you, Mira. You are on my mind every moment that I am alive." his voice was breathless and gentle as hands traced over my skin.

A knock at the door startled both of us, causing us to separate. "Cousin, I wanted to-" Varney opened the door without welcome, shock present on his face when he surveyed the sight before him.

I stood, fixing my night gown and smoothing my hair back into a braid while Robbie frantically searched for his shirt which lie on the floor beside my bed. "You two.." Varney began, unsure of how to address the situation.

He peeked back into the hallway, emitting an exasperated sigh before closing the door behind him. "I'm astonished at the both of you."

"Don't act so surprised, Varney, really." Robbie shot, less embarrassed than I.

"It wasn't. Varney, you know me. I'm not the kind to-"

"Which is why I'm so surprise, Mirissa. You of all people, playing one of his games." he shook his head. Varney rarely used my first name, especially when there was no need for formalities.

The very time I let myself stumble to worldly indulgences, the only person I truly cared about is the one to discover it. I was ashamed.

But at the same time, I knew he'd be the most forgiving.

"Firstly, you could've kept it down. I thought you were in despair based off of the noises you were making." he scoffed. "Secondly, you didn't even bother to lock the door."

"Varney-" Robbie started.

"No, I don't want an explanation or any sort of excuses." he looked at me, inevitably disappointed. "I'm going to leave this room like I never entered and I'm going to go back down that hall to my bed and pretend that none of this ever happened."

"I suggest you do the same." he added, averting his gaze to Robbie.

He left the room quickly and his footsteps were heard down the hall.

Robbie left the room quickly without a goodbye or goodnight or any other word and followed Varney down the hall. That was it.

For the better part of the night, they spoke. I could hear it through the walls. Though I could not hear everything, I heard my name mentioned and apologies spoken.

When all was quiet and my light was put out, I slept.

•••

Rain swept over the hills of Bramsey as if the sky was my own reflection.

I sat beside the window, hearing the rain drops patter against the glass in waves while I attempted to concentrate on the book in my hands, which seemed incredibly hopeless at this point.