Chapter 24

* Sorry this took a while to post, hopefully that won't happen again! I wasn't with my laptop for a few days, and my schedule has been crazy, since school is starting and I have sports practically every day for hours at a time, but I've managed to come up with something finally. But thanks for all of the nice comments and messages! It means a lot! This is slightly a filler chapter to warn you,, but needed. Maybe you'll love it. It was about time you start to understand a little more about the company anyway, it's important... It might be a little bit of a heavier chapter, but again, needed! Enjoy, and please tell me your opinions. Things are going to start picking up within the next few chapters, and possibly the sequel will begin. We'll see. This may seem a little shorter, but hopefully you'll still like it!

Thanks again! *

My eyes open to the sound of the annoyingly loud chirps of squeeling birds. Their songs echo around me like an alarm clock, and all I wanted to do was shut them up with the slap of my palm to the snooze button, but unfortunately, it was impossible to do that.

I push myself up and off the warmth of the sleeping body below me, not exactly wanting Trevor to wake up to find my body sprawled out over his yet again. As I roll off, I cringe in pain from a piercing feeling from underneath my skin. Attempting to stretch it out, I can't help but gasp in pain as I realize my ribs were not going to allow me to move without forcing me to undergo the feeling of being stabbed sharply into my side. Well this is just great. Absolutely perfect.

Trevor wakes to the absence of my body, his dark, green eyes finding mine.

"Good morning," I tell him, my voice sounding annoyed without meaning to as the birds above us continue to chirp obnoxiously. I had always known there was a reason why I didn't enjoy camping...

"Morning." he replies groggily, as he slowly sits up and runs his hands through his tangled, messy hair, luckily too fatigued to fully notice my more than likely horrid appearance to my relief.

"Don't you look attractive?" I tease, watching the corners of his lips lift into a slight smile. He looks like a complete wreck, what with his crazy hair and drooping eyes, and the stiffness to his features, but his smile disguises the wariness of his body language and he manages to still look ten times hotter than a Calvin Klein model.

"After you sleep on a metal truck bed for seven hours, even you wouldn't look all that attractive, either," he replies resentfully, as if he didn't realize he still looked even better than anyone else in the world despite a rough night of sleep, let alone better than I could ever look like on my best day.

"I slept on the same surface as you did last night, genius." I find myself saying with annoyance. And he thought I complained?

"Actually, you slept on me, but whatever calms your mind," Trevor winks, and I roll my eyes.

"Whatever," I growl, trying to ignore the feeling of heat rising to my cheeks since he noticed.

I glance around as my eyes adjust to the brightness around us, my gaze stalling as they land on the lone figure sitting beside the small, crinkling fire. Landon is roasting a hot dog, looking well rested and just as attractive as ever, even from a distance. I try to shove the sickening feeling down my throat as I stare at him, flashbacks from his attack flooding back to my memory. I never liked being scared, and I knew I hated feeling helpless. And the culprit of these emotions is sitting right there, innocent-appearing and stunning, yet still a venomous snake in disguise just waiting to attack again.

"How do you feel this morning?" Trevor asks, switching subjects to my relief and pulling me from my ever-so joyous thoughts.

"Not too great, since your chest doesn't feel too different than sleeping on metal."