#8: I Can Count on You and You Can Count on Me

He ran out in tears, tearing the muzzle off.

"Stupid! Why am I so stupid? Did I really think I could make it? Why do I even try!?" young Nick Wilde cried out.

He fell to the ground and tried to wipe his tears away, but they just kept streaming down his face constantly. Just as he was about to go home he heard running coming his way. When Nick looked up he collided with someone about his height. He fell back and hit the sidewalk with an oof. The other figure sat up quickly in alarm, and backed up from him.

"Watch it will ya!" Nick cried but stopped when he saw who he ran into.

A pair of big amethyst eyes stared back at him as her chest raised up in down.

"You should of watched where you were going! I was clearing running unless you're blind," she huffed.

Nick saw she was a rabbit, but quickly regained his posture and stood up, looming over her.

"Whatever bunny, go back to your hole or something," he snapped.

The small rabbit, Judy, jumped up, getting in his face. "Eeeexcuse meee! That's no way to treat a lady."

Nick snorted," You're not a lady, you're a girl, and a bunny."

Judy gasped but glared angrily, her foot thumping rapidly. "I am too a lady! And I'm not a bunny! I'm a rabbit!"

"Same thing," he snapped again," Just leave me alone and go away."

"No one tells Officer Judy Hopps what to do!" She said defensively.

"You? A police? That's ridiculous! There's no way a bunny can be a cop, you're too weak. You'd be smashed! Squished! Nothing but a pile of mush on the road! Road kill!" he yelled in her face, pushing her backwards.

Judy stumbled back, catching herself. That really stung. Tears formed on the side of her eyes as her vision became foggy. Sniffling, Nick's expression softened.

"W-wait, I didn't mean to make you cry," he said gently.

Nick tried to touch her shoulder but she jerked away.

"Don't touch me!" She hiccuped. "You're just a mean fox, a predator, there's a reason why we're all scared of people like you!"

Nick made a small gasp as the distance taunting came to his mind. She was right, he thought, he really was just a big bad fox. No wonder they wouldn't let him join the group. His ears fell against his head as he stared at her. Nick looked away and fought against tears. Judy sniffled and wiped her small tears away. She looked closer and saw how glossy Nick's eyes were, like he was about to cry.

"Are you ok?" Judy asked innocently, leaning forward.

Nick backed up and wiped his eyes. "Yeah I'm fine... Uhm..."

"Judy, it's Judy," she grinned, sticking out her paw.

He smiled cockily slightly as he took her paw. "Nick Wilde."

"I'm sorry about what I said, I actually like foxes, foxes are really cute," she giggled.

Nick's fur bristled as he countered,"Yeah well bunnies are kinda cute too."

Judy frowned," I am not cute."

"Ok fine, you're ugly then," he snorted.

"Hey! I'm not ugly! ...Do you think I'm ugly?" She asked worriedly.

Nick gulped and shook his head. "N-no! I mean you're uh, pretty?"

Judy smile,"Much better."

Nick looked away. "Anywaaay, why were you running?"