Chapter 14

Alexis called me Tuesday morning to tell me that she will be going with Pete to get his hair cut and then go shopping with him. She asked if I wanted to go but I decided not to interfere with their date. I found Joe on the couch watching something on MTV. Cereal was calling my name so I poured a bowl and sat down next to my brother.

“You busy tomorrow?” I asked after taking a few bites of my cocoa puffs.

“Nope.“ He replied. Ever since I entered the room he hasn’t taken his eyes off the TV. A stupid reality show was on and a girl fight was about to break out between two blondes.

“Pete is having a party for all the seniors tomorrow night. Alexis wanted me to ask you to go since you like to party anyway.” I placed my empty plastic bowl on the glass surface of our coffee table.

“Cool. All your little friends going too?” Joe asked. He chuckled a bit at the TV.

“I guess so.” I answered. I picked up my bowl and made my way to the kitchen, placing the bowl into the sink.

“Alright. You want me to drive you?” He called to me in the kitchen.

“I’m going early to help set up so unless your up for that then no.” I slightly yelled back to him.

“I don’t mind.” I could barely make out what he said because he started laughing loudly right away. The two girls must have started their brawl.

I headed up the stairs half an hour later to brush my teeth and get the things I needed for swimming. I hoped he wouldn’t show up today. I stalled around in my room until 12 then concluded that it was an okay time to head over to the indoor pool.

I walked slowly along the side of the road. It took me longer than usual to get to the pool today. I looked around at all the houses and the people out in their yards having family time. Our neighborhood has really grown bigger in the 6 years we lived here.

I opened the glass door of the building surrounding the pool. To my surprise there were about 4 people inside. Two little boys wore floats on their arms while a man and a woman watched them from the white folded chairs. This was the new family that moved in three houses down from us two weeks ago. I didn’t know their names so I just waved a little before I put my things down on the chair I always seem to use.

I headed to the deep end of the pool so I would be away from the little boys. I made a splash as I jumped in. I swam around a short while then hung onto the side of the pool to just relax.

The family left not long after I got out to lay down on the chair with my towel wrapped around me next to the one my belongings were placed on. The door opened not even a minute after they left. I didn’t look up to see who it was, I assumed they forgot something behind.

My assumption must have been wrong because the person came over to the chair right next to mine and placed a bag down.

“Hey.” He said. My eyes shot open instantly. I looked over wide eyed to see Andrew in grey swim trunks and a white t-shirt.

“H-Hi.” I choked out.

“Where were you yesterday?” Andrew asked while taking a seat next to me.

“What do you mean?” I questioned confused.

“I came by at 5 yesterday and stayed for almost an hour. You never showed up.” He said looking into my eyes looking for an answer.

“I got here at 6.” I said breaking our eye contact, casually playing with my beach towel.

“Oh,” was all he said until he stood up a few seconds later. “Lets swim.”