Chapter 8

Tuesday came and went uneventful despite it being the last week of school. No one paid attention in class anymore and just talked about their plans for summer. The most popular chats consisted of beach reservations, parties by the lake and visitations to out of state family. To be honest I had no idea what my mom has planned for the three of us so I was kind of jealous of the conversations.

It was lunch time before I knew it and Alexis was talking about Pete’s summer party. The event is held in a week so Alexis was inviting everyone as fast as she could.

“This party is going to be the party of the year for sure!” Alexis exclaimed with excitement. She was so proud that her boyfriend’s party was going to be so great.

“Sure is.” I said with as much enthusiasm as I could. Alexis told me I had to be there or else she would drag me there herself. Embarrassment is something I try to avoid so I gave in easily.

“Cheer up Lily. There will be plenty of people who don’t drink so you can hang out with them when your bored.” Stella stated to make me feel more happy to be going. Drinking alcohol is something I prefer not to do now after learning my lesson last year when I barfed my guts out. The site was not pretty and the feeling the next morning was horrible.

“Yeah she’s right. I won’t be drinking either so we can hang all night. It‘s going to be so fun!” Anna said as she smiled from ear to ear.

“I’m still not excited.” I said.

“Fine. I think you should invite Joe. He likes to party and I’m sure he’d be great entertainment for the crowd.” Alexis demanded, her eyes had a glint of mischief in them.

“And he’s hot!” Stella and Anna added at the same time. They turned and smiled at each other.

“No he is not! That’s so gross you guys. Please refrain from speaking about my brother like that with me around, I’ll gag.” I said with disgust, my nose curled up to put emphasis to it.

“I have to agree with Stella and Anna. Your brother is hot, really hot.” Alexis giggled as I swung at her playfully.

“Hey Lex I thought you had to invite a few more people in lunch? We only have five minutes left you know.” Anna said.

“Oh my gosh I totally forgot! See you guys later.” Alexis got up from her seat and took off to find some people.

The end of lunch bell rang and I got up to leave when I noticed he wasn’t sitting at Katie’s table. If he isn’t with his girlfriend then where is he? I looked around the cafeteria three times but didn’t see him anywhere. Anna pulled me back to reality when she yanked on my sleeve. I pushed the thought of him away as I walked off towards chorus.

Last period came faster then I expected. Fifteen minutes into class Mrs. Pierce called the classes attention. She had a surprise announcement for everyone.

“We teachers had a meeting yesterday after school and came up with a way to make the last three days of school fun. There were lots of ideas such as trips to the movies, joint classes, and delivered lunch.” Everyone in class cheered until she spoke again. “Unfortunately they were all rejected by the principle, the only idea approved is to let you students be able to go to any club you want. It does not matter if you belong to the club or not just as long as you aren‘t skipping. So basically this means you guys have free time with all your friends after 25 minutes of fourth period.”

The class erupted with cheers and I found myself even joining them. My phone vibrated as soon as Mrs. Pierce went back to her desk. I pulled out my cell to check the message. Alexis texted me saying she was going to the bird watching club along with a few others.

The bell rang for us to leave for clubs within minutes. Stella and I made our way to the usual meet up spot by the track when we noticed the amount of people already walking around. I didn’t expect this many people to come to the bird watching club but then again we did do nothing in here so it made sense now.

Stella and I arrived first to the fence we met at every time with Allen and Anna. A few minutes passed before Stella spotted our friends on their way over to us. I turned to look their way and was shocked at the number of people heading towards us. Alexis, Pete, Allen, Sakura and Kotomi were in the front while Brendon, Anna, and Andrew were behind them. The last two boys I didn’t really know but their names were Lewis Stevens and Nick Wise.

Alexis eyes met mine for a split second before sprinting right at me full speed. I screamed as she lunged at me and knocked me down on my back with her landing on my stomach. All I could hear was barks of laughter when my best friend slid off me onto her back to my right.

“Ah ha ha. I love your reactions Lily.” Alexis said taking quick breaths after each word. I moved my arm to hover over her stomach and she groaned when I made contact.

“You are so mean.” I said pouting. I sat up on my bottom to look at the others. They were all staring at us with amused expressions, even the two guys I didn’t know. My face flushed bright pink when I met Andrew’s gaze. He was smiling at me with so much emotion that my heart beat increased instantly. I gave him a half smile until someone called to us both. We both looked away at the same time to look at our friends.

“You guys were totally sending secret love smiles to each other!” Alexis gushed. Her comment made everyone else laugh but Andrew and I.

“We were not!” I snapped at the same time Andrew said “Is there a problem with us being in love?”

I whipped my head back in his direction with a wide eyes. Andrew smirked at me then turned to fake punch Brendon in the chest. My heart was beating really loud the rest of club time. I kept my distance from him so he wouldn’t hear it even though I knew he couldn’t. Andrew seemed to be keeping his distance as well but I didn’t notice that until after school was over.

Why did he say that? Was he just joking? Did he really mean it? He had a girlfriend still right? What if he somehow liked me? What if he didn’t and just liked to joke around with girls?

All these unanswered questions were giving me a headache. I headed off to bed early and drifted into a dream of Andrew Heart…