Chapter 5- On the Train

CHAPTER 5- On the train

I desperately clutch at the letter and start bawling my eyes out. Lily is running away? But what if i actually do win, and she wont be there, how could i cope? I couldn't! But something in my guts tells me she will be back to protect me if i win! This letter has also given me determination and a bit of safety, knowing that Lily will always be thinking of me and sending all her love and safety through to my heart.

Suddenly i hear a knock at the door and in comes Thresh. "Can i come in?" He mumbles. "Yeah sure." I reply, i suppose he is the only person i can rely on at this moment, seeing as he is probably feeling my same fears, thoughts and doubts at the moment. "Look, if you need anything, i'll be there for ok? I will protect you in the arena because one of us have to go home, ok? I promise." He gives my hand a reassuring squeeze. I have always trusted Thresh, he is like a big brother to me. I know he will help me get through this and i will help him. One of us have to go home...thats for sure!

Right now, i am more determined to win than i ever was. I need to win for my little brothers, my mum, my dad, Samantha, Thresh (unless he wins), their family...but most of all i need to win for Lily!

We go into the living room cart and wait to meet our mentors. Our mentors are called Duncan and Jenna.

Jenna is a 63-year-old partially- blind woman, who won the 15th annual Hunger Games. She lost her sight in the Games, when she was fighting with a District 2 tribute. The District 2 tribute punched her in the eyes and stuck a knife in it, but Jenna reacted almost immediately and threw the tribute down a high cliff. When she came out of the arena, she had to stay in hospital for 6 months, trying to regan ger sight, but they could do nothing.

Duncan instead is a young man who won the Gmaes 4 years ago, but is the only District 11 male tribute to have won the Games. Duncan is known for his almighty strength. He could crush people skulls in his hands!