Chapter 13~ broken

Peeta PoV

Me and Katniss have been going out a month now, well a month today to be exact. I can't believe it, I'm dating my best friend.

Lately, however, she's been slightly distant, as if somethings playing on her mind. It doesn't matter how many times I ask her, it's always the same response.

"Honestly,Peeta! Stop worrying about me I'm fine." She giggles with a smile, but it doesn't exactly reach her eyes.

She sits across from me, looking beautiful as ever, looking down at a menu. I've taken her out for dinner seeming it's our 1 month and all.

"I know but I do worry, Kit."

"Can a take your order?" A tall, slim blonde lady asks, winking at me.

"I'll have the lamb stew." Katniss says quickly in the 'he's my boyfriend back away' kinda tone she has sometimes. God I love that girl.

"I'll have the same."

She looks at me and we both wait for her to leave.

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" That's my girl, sassy as ever. The waitress huffs and struts off.

"Well you shouldn't." Katniss picks the conversation  back up. "If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times, I'm fine."

I'm fine. Isn't that supposed to be a girls biggest lie?

"Your stew?" The lady struts back over, placing the stew infront of Katniss and I.

"Thanks."

"My pleasure." She says, a little too flirtatious for my liking, or Katniss's by the looks of it.

We eat the stew quickly and get the bill. We're gonna go to our favourite ice cream parlour for dessert. As we're in the car in our way Katniss's phone pings. Instinctively, she looks down at her lock screen before quickly locking her phone.

"Who was that?" I ask, turning to look at her for a second before diverting my eyes back to the road.

"No one."

"Well it was obviously someone."

"It was just my phone bill, that's all."

I'm unconvinced, but I let it drop.

"You wanna share a Sundae?" Her eyes go wide and she nods.

"Chocolate?"

"You know how to cheer me up."

She states, leaning her head on my shoulder. I smile. I order the sundae and we pick a booth. While we wait for the sundae we get into the topic of our childhood.

"Over in England, well I'm not sure if I happens here, but we have an ice cream man."

I give her a look. The ice cream man? Sounds a bit.. Strange.

"And he has this ice cream van. And he goes down like all the streets playing this cute little tune and when he stops the kids run outside and buy ice cream."

"Sounds like the pied piper."

"It was the highlight of my childhood! I can't believe you never had an ice cream man!"