Chapter 1~Cousins

Katniss PoV

I sit patiently in the back of a car. It's taking me to the airport. I'm headed to America. It all seems so unreal, like I'm in a dream or maybe I nightmare, I can't tell yet.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, the last thing I remember was the frying pan. Apparently someone heard me next door, heard my cries, but that seems unlikely to me. The amount of times I've scream, shouted and cried the over the past 3 years and they only just hear me now?

I stare out the tinted windows. It's sounds silly, but I've never been in a car before. Even before my dad died we never had much money. One year our father saved up a years worth to get me and my sister a shared IPod. It was the oldest model, but I couldn't have been more grateful.

It's only when the airport comes into view I begin to wonder about my new life I'm headed towards. As soon as social services got hold of me they searched for any relatives I may have. It just so happens I have an aunt in America. Aunt Drea and her husband Uncle Troy. From what I've been told, she's my dads sister, which took a while to take in. I can't recall my dad ever mentioning a sister. Although he brought up the topic of visiting California various times. Maybe that had something to do with her?

I've also been told she has 3 daughters and a son. I wonder what their life is like? Do they get along? Do they struggle for money? Had they ever heard of me and my family..?
"Katniss?" My "guardian" Aliyah asks, waking me from my train of thought. "We're at the airport."

Clove PoV

"Pippa! I've been looking for my IPad everywhere!" I say spotting 1 of of my little sisters.

"You have your phone though!" She whines, giving me me the puppy dog eyes.

"You have your own IPad though!" I retort, mimicking her whiney tone. She laughs at my silliness and throws it on the beanbag and runs out of HQ.

HQ is mine and my siblings games/sleepover/screening/hang out room. We also have a lot of gymnastic apparatus and cheer mats and stuff up here, seeming we have to practice everyday.

"FAMILY MEETING!" I hear my mother shout from the kitchen. I sigh, every family meeting is either about our school grades, how long we spend on technology or in our rooms. I roll my eyes. Obviously we're all taking too long to respond because my IPad and IPhone ping. Mom has only sent out the "FAMILY MEETING" message to our family group chat. I chuckle as I ran down the 2 flights of stairs.

"We heard you the first time,you know." My older brother Levi states walking into the kitchen behind me. Already sat down, my younger twin sisters Pippa and Demi-Rose, are deep in conversation about starting school again. We've just had Christmas so Winter break is coming to an end (A/N: I'm English so if I get something mixed up or wrong about the American schooling system please let me know in the comments!) We always have a nice Christmas at our house and I'm really grateful! Mom and dad have enough to get us presents under the tree and food on the table and the house is always buzzing with friends and family. I couldn't imagine Christmas any other way.

"Soo.." Mom starts "I had a phone call today. It was from the social services over in England-"

"England!" The twins shout excited and giggle.
"Yes" mom continues "they asked me something. Something very important. I've talked to your dad already and he said as long as you guys are okay with it.." She pauses and looks down, a bit nervous.
"What's the question?" Levi inquires.
"It's about your cousin." All 4 of us kids make eye contact, all confused as each other.

"But momma we don't have a cousin? Do we?" Asks Demi.

"Learn something new everyday I guess." But she can't hide the guilt and nervousness from her voice.

"What was the question, mom?" I speak for the first time. Silence. She makes eye contact with me for at least a minute before sighing.

"I have some explaining to do..."
We all stare at her, urging her on.

"I have-" she coughs "Sorry, I had a brother over in England. Neil. He married a women named Sarah and they had two children: Katniss and Primrose."

"Who names their kid Katniss? I ask.
"Says you, Clove." Sniggers Levi. I glare.

"Anyway, my brother died serving his time serving for the army. There was an explosion or something. Never found his body."

"Oh..." I whisper.

"I would hate for daddy to die!" Pippa cries.

"And obviously he left behind his two girls, who I think we're about 10 and 6 at the time. From what I heard, their mom shut down for a bit. She came around but she was partying and you-know-what. She met a guy a few months after who" moms eyes brimmed with tears and her voice quivered

"H-he abused them."

My jaw drops, as do all my siblings, even the twins. We've all heard about child abuse, but never have I heard it so close to my family! Even if I haven't actually met them.

"They didn't get into details, but little Primrose is.... She's gone." Silence.

" And the oldest, Katniss, was found and removed from the house. The thing is, now she needs a home. She's in care but when they found I was her only relative they contacted me and that's where you guys come in..."

"Of course" Levi is the first to speak "I can't even imagine being in the situation she's in. Being around a load of strangers won't make her feel any better."

"But aren't we strangers to her?" I ask.
"We're family, it's different." He responds like it obvious, which it is I guess.

"She can even stay in our room if she like? Right Pippa?" Demi speaks up. Pippa nods. Everyone looks at me.
" If we're all she has then there's no questioning it, is there?" I say.
Mom looks at is, her eyes reflect how proud she is.

"I'm glad you all agreed. She arrives tomorrow."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know it's a slow start but I'm getting there! As I said I'm English so I might get a bit mixed up with all things American please let me know!
Vote and comment!
Livi xoxo

All rights reversed