Popularity is Overrated Confessions Chapter 6

Confessions

Chapter 6

Popularity is Overrated

After missing two weeks of school then being out for Christmas break. I was nervous on my return. As I pulled into the school parking lot I saw all the usual people standing about talking. I got the distinct feeling they were talking about me. I knew they were when I noticed how many were pointing in my direction and whispering like they were afraid I might hear something. I felt my face flush red. Why would they feel the need to talk about me.

I got out of my car and instead of joining the masses out-front I headed on in to the school. I really didn’t feel a need to know what they were saying about me. I didn’t want to be the one of the pitied just because my mom died. I made a beeline straight for my locker. As I was opening my combination lock I could feel stares boring holes into my back. I ignored it. I grabbed my books out of my locker for first period and turned around and nearly collided with Stace. She shoved her long blond hair over her shoulder and looked at me with her big brown eyes filled with menace. I just stared at her still not believing what she had done to me.

“Walk Much.” She said with a sneer on her lips as she pushed me to the side and headed for her own locker with Spence in tow.

“That was rude I mumbled under my breath,” as I headed for the office. I found Principal Garner waiting for me in her office. I had to make up my midterms and all my other assignments so that I could pass my classes from last semester. I admit I was kind of worried because with our block schedules I didn’t know for sure if I would be able to make up all the work and keep my grades up in my new classes for this semester.

“Cat,” Miss Garner spoke her red hair bouncing as she moved towards me, “ I’m sorry to hear about your mom.

“Thanks,” I said because it was all I could think to say.

“ I know these recent events have gotten you behind so your teachers and I have decided to try and help you out.”

“ I know I have to make up all the missed assignments and my tests.” I said knowing that the two weeks of homework assignments was going to be the worst.

“ Well there is that but we also have to take your attendance grade into perspective.”

I had forgotten about the attendance grade it went towards twenty percent of our final grade for the semester, unless the absences were excused and all work was made up. I was really worried now because they would only excuse three days for a funeral.

“I know I missed more than what was allowed for the funeral but I was semi comatose for five days three of them were days I missed school.”

“ We know and we also understand about your mom that’s why we aren’t going to let the attendance policy affect your grades.”

“Thank you,” I stammered out.

“But,” she said. I knew there had to be a but, “there’s also two weeks worth of homework and your semester finals.

“ I know I’ll make all of it up if you’ll just give me a couple weeks.” I said hoping she would at least give me two weeks.

“We know you’ll make it up you’re and honor student that’s why we aren’t going to make you do any of the missed class assignments, you’ll be graded on what you’ve already done and the grades from your finals. For now you’ll be given an incomplete fro each class and then as you take your finals you’ll be given your grade.”

“Thank you, so much.”

“ Don’t be to thankful yet there are a few stipulations to this deal; First off you only have until the end of the month to complete all of your finals, second if you score poorly on any of them then you’ll have to make up the missed assignments in order to pass, and third you’ll have to maintain all assignments assigned to you this semester and make decent grades on them. Does this sound reasonable to you?”