13.

Chapter 13

The next few days for Luke were extremely difficult. After his mum called him back home from the station, he hadn't heard from Calum, or Mali, or the police. He went to school but Calum wasn't there. He wasn't motivated to play music, he didn't bother to arrange any rehearsals, and he didn't talk to Michael or Ashton. The only thing he'd do at lunchtimes was mope around in a music room, strumming the chords to a song or trying out a riff, going for a walk occasionally if he felt uninspired.

He began to realise that Calum had taken up so much of his life, both in his physical life and his thoughts, that now he was gone, he just felt really fucking empty. He had no idea what to do and sure, people asked if he was okay and ate lunch with him, but he couldn't bring himself to accept what was happening to Calum. Why did he feel so hopeless?

"Luke, have you forgotten your assignment again?"

Luke looked up at Mr Eccles with a frown, then sighed. "I guess. I'm sorry."

"This isn't like you, Luke. Where is Calum today?"

He swallowed. "I think he's ill."

"Remind him to hand in his as well. Your essays need to be done and marked, so I seriously urge you to get them finished. Hand it in by latest, Friday." He walked back to his desk and Luke let his head fall onto the table. What was happening...

~

"Thank you, defender, for your opening statement. Now, prosecutor, what have you got to say?" the judge announced loudly. The court room was relatively quiet but there were a few reporters there to get news coverage. Calum hated that. They were making money from his misfortune, and they weren't benefitting anyone either.

"As we know, Mr Hood here has been accused of murder. We have evidence to say that he did this; judge, please take a look at this forensics report we received from the police station last week." The smartly dressed woman in bubble-gum pink lipstick tottered over to the TV where she picked up the remote, switching the screen to a blue one that had a green 'fingerprint match' title. "Here, we see that Mr Hood's fingerprints are on the knives used to stab his parents."

Mali's cry was heard all around the room. Their lawyer stood, asking for permission to speak. "Obviously there would be his fingerprints on the knives! He was just ten, he must've picked up the knife after the raiders left. Did you even think to check if there were other fingerprints on them?"

"I'm afraid with Calum's criminal past, there is no need to do that," the snotty woman replied. Calum shut his eyes and rubbed his eyebrows with sweaty fingers. "Calum – tell us, why did you choose to stab your parents?" She sounded so annoying. Calum wanted to stab her. He started to think, that maybe he'd be better off in jail. He wouldn't have to burden Mali anymore, or anyone else; he'd disappear from their lives and live in a place where he belonged. Mali noticed his expression change and reached over to tap his shoulder, shaking her head through wet eyes. They all waited in anticipation for his answer. "Well, Calum?"

"I didn't kill them."

A light buzz filled the room as spectators whispered among themselves. "Is that all you have to say?" Calum nodded in response. "You can't possibly defend yourself with four words. Judge, what do you say?" She really wasn't giving up, was she? Calum looked up briefly, still able to hear Mali's quiet sobs from behind. The judge simply sighed.

"It doesn't sound right, a ten year old killing his parents. Besides, we know there were others in the house that night. Okay – well the jury is going to take half an hour for discussion. Until then, you are all dismissed."

The prosecutor threw her papers onto the table in front of her, pacing slowly. Calum let out a deep breath. He kind of wanted to see Luke, just a little bit, yet at the same time he felt ashamed for being so awfully horrid to him when the police were at his house. He turned to look at Mali, asking for her phone.

"What do you need it f-for?" she sobbed, getting it out from her bag.

"Luke." She nodded and handed it over to Calum's limp hands, and watched as he searched through her call history to what appeared to be Luke's number. He then got out his own phone and saved the number. "Thanks," he mumbled, before texting him.

Hi Luke. This is Calum. I just wanted to say sorry for being rude the other day. I'm in court right now. You have my number now so... feel free to text me. I wouldn't mind receiving something from you.

He hesitated before sending, but had a feeling Luke wouldn't find it strange, so pressed 'send' without second thoughts. Luke appeared to read it straight away, because a reply came pretty speedily.

Awesome. Thanks Cal, hope you're okay! Want me to collect homework for you?

Don't bother, I won't do them anyway.

:) Well, good luck for today. You'll win, there's no doubt. It's ridiculous otherwise.

Thank you. What lesson are you texting me in right now?

Geography... but that's fine. Never found mountains very interesting!

You'd better go. I wouldn't want your phone to get confiscated because of me.

Good luck!

Calum smiled properly at his texts. With a newfound sense of inspiration, he sat up straight and took a few breaths, now ready to finish the court hearing once and for all. He was sick of that prosecutor, and wanted to go back home where he wouldn't be reminded of his parents and what he saw that night. The lawyer looked at him with a reassuring smile, patting him on the back.

"You ready to give your statement next?"

"Yep."

***

Vote/comment :))