Chapter 16

Misaki's POV

"They were right here one minute and then when I counted the kids to make sure everyone was there... they were gone!" the teacher explained worriedly to Ikuto and me.

"Was there anyone near you around the time they went missing?" Iktuo inquired.

"Not that I know of, no," she said shaking her head.

Ikuto grabbed my wrist and dragged me away to search for the twins. He dropped my wrist and started to search frantically for them. I walked along with him, looking for any signs of my beloved children.

It was sunset and we had searched almost every exhibit at least twice when Ikuto stopped abruptly and turned to face me.

"Are you okay?" he asked quietly. I looked down at the ground. "My bad, that was a stupid question," he said. He came closer to me and took my hands in both of his and lifted my chin up, forcing me to look into his eyes. "We'll find them, I promise," he said, confidently.

I was trembling. "What if we don't?" I whispered. He pulled me in for a hug, his head resting on top of mine. I buried my head in his chest, smelling in his scent, despite the fact that my cheeks were burning red and that voice in my head telling me to tell him to stop it. He smelled so damn good. He rubbed my back.

"We will find them, don't worry," he said. He released me and held my hand. He squeezed it for support. Together, we walked back to the teacher. The other kids were picked up by their parents/guardians immediately after they found that Amaya and Ichigo were missing. We found a bunch of police men there.

"We searched the whole zoo and they're nowhere to be found. We evacuated everyone and searched for them, but there's no trace of your children. We think... we think that they were kidnapped and the kidnapper escaped we realized they were missing and before we strengthened the security at the front of the zoo," a police reported. Ikuto squeezed my hand once more in reassurance and I held onto it tightly. I was glad he was there to comfort me... if he wasn't well, I would've already broken down by now.

"Well, it's getting late and the zoo is closing...," the officer trailed off nervously.

"I'll take her home," Ikuto said, solemnly. The officer looked at me for reassurance that it was okay for him to take me home.

"It's okay," I said, sincerely. "He's a good friend."

"Friend?" the officer asked, a smile playing on his lips. I realized that he was eyeing our hands, which I was squeezing pretty tightly. I looked down and blushed.

"Please tell me if you find any information of the whereabouts of my children," I said. The police nodded and Ikuto ushered me to his car and started driving.

He glanced at me and reached for my hand. "Two hands on the wheel, Ikuto," I said, sternly. He withdrew his hand, smiling faintly. His phone rang and he answered the phone, putting it on the speaker.

"Do you follow any of the driving safety laws," I muttered

He grinned at me and to the caller, he said, "Hi who's this?"

"Who's this?" the caller asked. Ikuto and I exchanged worried glances.

"Ikuto Usui," he answered nevertheless.

"Ah, is Ayuzawa Misaki there?" the caller asked.

"Uh, yeah, do you want to talk to her?" Ikuto asked.

"No, no. Put it on speaker and both of you listen," he said. I stared at the phone. We heard a laugh that was too evil to be normal.

"Misaki and Usui!" another voice exclaimed. What is with people calling him by his last name?" What a pleasureit is talking to you!" the new voice said.

"What do you want?" Ikuto asked, rudely. The voice asked.

"Oooooh. Someone's in a bad mood today," he teased. Silence between me and Ikuto.

"Just get to the point," the first man who talked to us said.

Man #2 sighed. "You guys are boring," he pouted, childishly.

"Who is this?" I asked.

"Ah, Misaki, now you don't need to know that," Man# 2 said.

"Then what do you want from us? We're going to hang up," I said, annoyed. I reached for the button that ends the call.

Man #2 snorted. "You can hang up if you want. Suit yourself. We just had wanted to give you some information."

I hesitated. "What kind of information?"

"Ah, now we're talking," Man #2 said, laughing. Then he stopped laughing and in a serious tone he said, "We have the kids..."

"Hmmm, what's their name? Oh yes! Amaya and Ichigo!" he said snapping his fingers. My heart stopped.

"What?" I said unsurely.

"Get to the point, Fred!" Man #1 yelled.

"Yes, yes," Man #2- er, Fred- said happily, ignoring the other man. "We have them."

"That's it! I'm talking from now on," Man #1 said, angrily.

"Awww, no, Jake!" Fred wailed. "This is fun!" We heard some commotion and then Jake said, "Okay, just ignore him," he said. Fred was crying and whining in the background.

Jake informed, "We have Maya and Ichigo. Come to the creek at 2:00 a.m. in Merrill Park tomorrow tonight- er- morning (whatever) with $500 thousand dollars and we'll give them back to you unharmed-,"

"Ha! Neither of you have that kind of money! I really do wonder what you're going to do," Fred interrupted.

"Anyway," Jake continued. "If you don't have the money, they're dead...," he said and paused, as if thinking and then, "Don't bother bringing the police. If you do, you're kids are dead and we'll get arrested."

"But there's no use in arresting because we'll escape anyway!" Fred said. "So there's no use."

"That's all, goodbye," Jake said, monotonously. They hung up. Ikuto bit his lip.

"I'm financially broke! I don't have one thousand dollars, never mind five hundred!" I exclaimed sobbing.

Ikuto stopped the car in front of my house and reached over and hugged me.

"We'll figure something out," he whispered in my ear. "I promise."