Chap. 1

Keisha:

First one thing falls apart.

Then comes the second,

Tearing away at the foundation

Of what I presumed to be a perfect life.

Now? It is anything but perfect. And that is why I don't understand, Karma is a bitch. Then why is she having a fucking play time with my life when I didn't do anything wrong. At least not knowingly.

This was not how I planned any of this. Fired from a job, even though it was minimum wage it was still paying something. And then as soon as I get home, I find my engineer fiancè banging my new neighbour's granddaughter. I probably should report it since the girl is just a teen, sixteen the most. But instead, I am sulking with a bucket load of ice-cream or frozen yogurt from my boss's fridge. I mean, I am already fired. There is no need for loyalty anymore. Not in my book anyways. And how long did this all happen? All within one day. Guess which day it is? It's Friday. Yay! Thus, I am spending my Friday night getting fat instead of working a sweat at some night club and having a good time. My life really sucks. Well, that's the understatement of the year.

I dig my spoon in the bucket again, but come up with less than before. I look down and my mouth forms an 'O'. The ice-cream is finish. Groaning, I turn to the fridge and I wonder if any more food was in there, much less ice-cream.

Sighing, I get up and throw the empty bucket on the counter before opening the freezer. Thankfully, I also took those ice-cream sandwiches.

"I am going to be on a water diet and start exercising again," I tell myself as a way to take away the guilt of eating so much calories in one night.

If anyone who is sensible hears that ridiculous statement, they will definitely know that is not going to happen. I mean, who can go on a strict water diet when life is so short. I do not want to die of starvation. I'm probably thirty pounds more than I should be to look good, but at least I am normal weight. Life hasn't given me the opportunity to travel and enjoy the world, so I think my taste buds deserve the adventure of good food. At least until I can't afford it anymore. Having no income can do that someone and I really should be thinking about these things. I don't rent the apartment I live in so that's off the list. Thank God I had bought it! But I have insurance, utility bills and those things that are considered necessities like toiletry.

I roll my shoulders to try and relax. This is not the time to be thinking so hard. I rub my temples feeling like a migraine is coming on. Or is it brain freeze? Huh, I have no idea.

The home phone then rings, successfully interrupting my grab for a second ice-cream sandwich. I lick my lips to take off all ice-cream before getting my phone. It's for the best anyways. The ice-cream will serve for tomorrow when reality hits.

I make my way to the avid ringing phone that is starting to give me a headache. I pick up the phone to answer, but put it back down. By the feel of things, I was not in any mood or state to be speaking with someone whose voice is directly at my ear. I am already wincing from the ringtone. I then press the answer button on the sliver wireless landline and the speaker button is pressed afterwards.

"Hello?" I answer tentatively, just realizing I didn't even look at the caller's identification. Crossing my fingers, I really hoped it wasn't my father. Or even worse, my mother.

"Keisha? Is that you?" The voice of my ex-boyfriend causes me to freeze and then a string of curses tumble from my mouth. I am such an idiot. He doesn't even give me any time to answer before talking again. "You know what? I am coming over."

A protest is about to leave my lips, but I stop short when I hear the beep that signals the call has been ended. That just earns him a permanent placement on the top of my 'Jerkass List' which he and my uncle in Ireland alone occupy. Was he always such an asshole before? And if so, why did I not realize this before? Controlling jerkface! He won't get the best of me anymore! I am  independent and strong. This is all just a bump in the road and I will succeed!