It's all in the Eyes

Will POV

Central Heterochromia. That's the medical term for it. It's surprisingly common nowadays, what with it being connected to soulmates. Not everyone has it in the central form, some have it sectoral or full, but I'm yet to meet someone who doesn't have any kind.

Once you've met your soulmate, your soulmate's eye colour begins to dissipate. I wonder how people with full, heterochromia iridum know which is their eye colour?

Anyway, as you may have picked up on, I have central heterochromia, and I have to say- I look pretty cool. My irises start with a deep, almost black, chocolate brown, and fade into, my own eye colour, sky blue.

I've spent a lot of time looking at that gorgeous brown, thinking of its owner, praying that one day I might finally meet them.

-------

Beep. Beep. Beep.

'I hate Mondays.' That thought is currently all my brain can come with, before I feed my caffeine addiction. It's probably not even Monday.

Once I'm downstairs and halfway through a cup of coffee, I can function enough to read the paper, which confirms it is, in fact, a Monday. Fabulous.

-------

After a painfully slow drive through rush hour to the hospital, I finally make it through the doors and my Monday doesn't seem all that bad anymore.

I've always enjoyed my work, and I get a great satisfaction from helping people. Yes, there are the days when someone dies under my care and I go home stricken with grief and sorrow, but overall, I enjoy my work.

I practically skip to my locker to get my stuff, with a few cheerful "Hey"s and "How's it going"s to my colleagues.

Once my work clothes are donned, I make my way to check up   some of my patients. As a paediatrician, I like to get to know the children I help, so they aren't as nervous around me.

"Hey Maddy, how are you today?" I question a young girl of about eleven, who just had a bronchial cyst removed.

"I'm good, Will. Bit bored, though." I chuckle at her answer and reply with,

"Well we can't have that! Good thing you should be able to go home today! Just have to remove that needle from your hand, and you're free to go." She pales at the words 'remove' and 'needle'.

It's a well known fact among the doctors that Maddy has a phobia of needles. Just ask the nurse who said that he had to stick a needle in the cyst in her neck. There were a lot of tears, and in the end she had to be scheduled for an MRI.

The anaesthetist also mentioned that it was hard getting her to stay still for the needle going into her hand, what with them having to stab her twice with the needle after it popped out the first time. And I get the joy of taking it out.

Luckily, I'm a professional.

I tale her hand and say, "Hey Maddy, don't worry- is that  your parents over there?" Her head swivels to the side, trying to get a glimpse of her parents coming to rescue her. I take full advantage of her being distracted, and whip out the needle.

When she looks back up at me she says, "I don't see th-" her reply is cut short as she stares at her hand in awe, noticing that the needle has been pulled out. "I didn't feel anything..."

"I said not to worry, didn't I?" I reply with a grin. She grins back and starts to giggle as her parents walk into the ward and I hand yer back over to her parents, with a, "She's free to go! Bye Maddy, I hope to never see you here again!" This succeeds in increasing her laughter.

-------

Later on, I'm walking around, just checking files, when a nurse runs into the reception area for this ward, shouting about 'needing help' and 'explosion'. So naturally, everyone free sprints after her.

When we get to the main reception area, it's total carnage. Gurneys with wounded laying on them, left, right and centre; people groaning, clutching wounds that have yet to be seen to. But the most frightening of all, is the people who aren't moving, or making a sound.

Instantly I rush over to them, ignoring those who are letting out pleas. Those who have energy to waste whining, don't need help as much as those who don't.

I find myself beside a man who looks to be about my age with raven hair and olive skin. That's all I have time to notice, however, before I'm in 'doctor mode', and examining him for the reason of his unconscious state. A nasty head wound is what I conclude to be the cause, and I immediately begin to find the right staff to help with getting MRIs of his head.

-------

After several hours, the mass hysteria has calmed down, and I'm waiting by the bedside of, as ID in his wallet identified, Nico Di Angelo, an Italian who is visiting his sister and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The sister was phoned about ten minutes ago, so she should be here in about twenty minutes.

"What on Earth am I doing here?" Mutters a heavily accented voice from the bed I'm currently seated at.

That accent.

Anyway. I whip my head around to where he's laying and immediately gasp as my eyes lock onto his.

An inverted version of my eyes are staring back at me. The colour's fading, but that's my eye colour. Sky blue. Surrounded by the rich chocolate brown that I've studied in my own eyes for so long.

I can tell he notices too, by the way his jaw goes slack and he gapes.

"U-uh, H-hi?" Is the intelligent remark that makes it's way out of my mouth. I almost face palm myself externally, as well as internally.

"Ciao," Is what he responds, momentarily forgetting English, before quickly adding, "I-I mean, hello."

His eyes are almost solid brown now, and they still fascinate me.

I guess Mondays aren't so bad, after all.

And done. I just realised how long it's been since I've posted. Please forgive me! Anyway, hope you enjoyed!

Please leave any suggestions for other soulmate AUs, 'cause I'm awful at thinking of them myself. Thanks for reading!