Struggle

"Good luck gentlemen. May the almighty one watch over you." Capt. Trek said loudly for us. He smiled and offered us all a salute for the final time.

It was the day when a party to search for the queen will leave. Including me we were thirty seven souls with all the weaponry we can carry. Knives, grenades, assault riffles, snipers, heavy machine guns, radios, and some rations. Normally one would be nervous and worried of what will be their fates during the mission but weird enough I am not.

I am used being on the front lines. Everyday I wish that it would be the day that some vampire would end my life already. I don't know if it was my luck or just I'm a freak. I don't even know if I was still a human.

I was born a genius. The norman people can use the one percent of their brain but as for me, I was able to use seven percent. It was cool at first when I was so innocent and I was still living with my parents. I thirst for new things and knowledge I could acquire. I was always looking forward in learning new things. That changed when suddenly the peaceful vampire kingdom collapsed. The King and Queen was murdered and the new queen, their daughter was overthrown by the rebellion and was held captive.

The war erupted and I lost my sister and my parents on the process. All that is left to me was a picture of my sister. An eight year old girl on a messy bun and a smile ear to ear was the only photo I have. I was then picked up by the organization and made me what I am now.

I was a freak which can do anything on the first try. At first I was admired by others but later the admiration turns to envy then evolved to disgust. Truly a human nature.

Here I am now wrapping the only friend I have, a Cheytac .408 cal sniper rifle. I know I'm weird but I can't even trust someone since all of them were not me. I lost myself on my first mission and left with a hollow and cold personality. Truly a war can break someone in the wildest ways.

After checking my pack, we assembled on different armored military trucks and boarded. We would be dropped 7 miles outside our borders and we would rally until we locate the eastern vampire stronghold.

We traveled on about an hour and finally reached our starting point. Our driver with the Capt. of the second division bid their farewells to us and wished for success. The base would weaken since almost all of the best were on this team and the defense on the borders would weaken significantly not with personnel numbers but with morale and quality.

We made our group arrangement and started to rally our way following the east. It was a long walk and its starting to get dark. The last thing a human would want now is to be caught up with darkness. Not because vampires strengthen greatly but with the great drop of visibility which the vampires were accustomed to that give them a big advantage.

We turned off all electronics and was left by only our radio. We all climbed a tree for shelter since camping is an invitation for us to be attacked. We pulled out our night visions and went to pair with two. It was to make shifts to stay guard. One sleep and one guards the permitter.

"Want some cigar?" Mark my partner offered with a smile. Probably he is the youngest here. I pity him being forced into this mission. He have a great family back there. A sweet daughter and a loving wife.

"I'll pass. It won't be lighted so no point in having one." I shrugged and continued to watch my perimeter. We were positioned at the tallest tree located on the center since I was the best sniper on the team. Lighting that poison thing will just flag our location so we can't light one even if I would smoke for a change.

I don't do Vices. I drink but I don't get drunk, I tend to be a loner and just watch the borders while others do their own things. I remember an occasion, a Christmas and all other personnel in the border we watch went partying and hooked up with women. I was left to shoot freaks that attempted to attack while they all do party. I didn't alert them though. I wanted to die but sadly I didn't again. Don't get me wrong, I want to die but I am not offering my life on a silver platter. If they want it, they gotta take it by force.