Long lost but found again

Veronica’s Pov

How much hate can someone muster in his/her being? Half? Over a quarter? A tenth? An ounce? For me its no simple measurement. Right in front of me was the very being I vowed to kill. Not for petty Vendetta but for something else. She took me the things I love the most. My purity, my happiness, my innocence, everything I hold dear, including him. Who am I kidding? She did not take it all! She orchestrated this all! All of the misfortunes, all the pain and how I am now is all because of her. Not directly but she is the greatest part. If she fought for her throne back then, if she did not hand over her reign, if she prevented them, I would be seeing the world in colours and not in pure red.

I am Rosette RIverblood. Your Ruler.

How dare she mutter nonsense in front of me? She’s kidding right? How dare she!

“You are no ruler of mine. Weaklings shouldn’t dare approach me.” I replied with a harsh tone not sparring second to look away from her, eye to eye. I conveyed as much venom I can muster with my expression. She shouldn’t be here!

“I am. And you are to comply on my will.” She replied passively. Her facial expression didn’t even change while talking to me. It was cold and unreadable. Her voice devoid of emotion but full of impression.

I grit my teeth very hard just to contain the anger rising towards the surface of me. This is not the time. She is just a mere vampire. It wouldn’t matter if she is gone. Nothing will change even if I do it now. I closed my eyes and fought with all of my will to restrain myself from jumping in her bones and feed the remains to the dogs. I tried remembering the happy thoughts of mine. His presence, his warmth, his angelic voice. It was all of him that kept my sanity all these years.

“Leave now. I didn’t wish to speak.” Then I turned my back at her. I feel many eyes boring behind my back. My servants, her companion, Lily, all of them wondering how I can turn my back against a royalty. Their royalty… not mine.

When I took the first step, I felt chills run down my spine. It was pure madness and god! It was intense that somehow making my breathing erratic. I turned my back and saw a pair of brown eyes staring back at me. It was a pool of emptiness, a deep well of sadness and ocean of misery. His emotions were written on his face without his mask on. Then I remembered….. it was just like his. A pair of brown orbs of endless thirst, excitement and tenderness while looking at me. Why does he resemble him so much? It was unfair having those similar eyes but have different emotions inside them. It was not like how I remember…. The man’s eyes that were looking at me were like the abyss. It represents something deep and understandable.

Our gazes locked and I felt the world melt. It was just him and me. No other noise, no presence of prying eyes, nothingness. A pure world with just two of us, looking at each other with the same intensity. A feeling of nostalgia, a resemblance and a sense of familiarity. I tried looking away but his gaze was keeping my eyes on him. There was nothing I can do but stare back at him. There was something in him that keeps on picking my interest. It was something which I long lost.

“Who are you?” I asked suddenly and I feel like I want to bang my head on the nearest wall. Of course you don’t know him!

“No one significant. Can we change your mind?”

Everyone’s eyes were on the both of us, watching what will happen next. All of them knows that I hated being stared upon aside from Lily. Somehow everything with his presence was not according to my usual self. I broke my stare at him and glared to every prying eyes around us. All of them looked to the ground instantly and left aside from Lily which is glued to the ground beside me. Nobody would dare to meet my gaze, happy or not I’ll maul someone to death if they dare to stand their ground.