Perfect Disaster

I went for lunch with the girls today; Amanda called me this morning all giggly and excited she said she had something important to tell us. You know what Amanda's like everything that happens is a major drama. She was sitting there with a grin as wide as the Cheshire Cat waving wildly at the waiter for a bottle of champagne, the sun hit the diamond on her ring finger and it wasn't difficult to see why she was so excited. Darren had taken her away to London for the weekend they'd had lunch on a boat on the river and then he'd asked her to marry him at the top of the Eye. They all said it sounded perfect - and it did.

It got me thinking about you and that time we went away to London. Do you remember how excited we'd been? It was our first time away together and you'd planned it all right down to the very last detail and then we missed our train, but it was okay, we were only a little behind schedule and it wouldn't ruin the weekend. Nothing could. Well until the sarky cow on reception at the hotel said she had no record of our reservation. We ended up staying in some grotty B&B the toilet had a leak, the window didn't open and I was certain we'd catch something from the bed, but I'd go back there in a flash if it meant I got to spend one more night with you.

What about that time when you took me out to dinner at that new swanky restaurant that opened in town and you started choking on your food and knocked that glass of red wine all over my dress. You thought I was annoyed with you, but I wasn't, not really; I could never be annoyed with you. They weren't happy with us; I guess it's because you stained the carpet. What kind of restaurant has a white carpet anyway? It's closed down now, but well, that's their fault for kicking us out because we'd caused a scene and interrupted the sophisticated dining experience that other customers were trying to enjoy.

Or when we were at your sister's wedding and our feet got tangled up and we ended up in a heap on the dance floor, that was another dress you ruined!

And that picnic on the beach when it poured down with rain and then the car broke down on the way back. Still the recovery guy appreciated the fact that your t-shirt had gone see-through in the rain.

I don't think we ever had a date that sounded as perfect as Amanda's had been, but actually, I don't think that matters all that much. Okay, so you didn't propose to me in the clouds high above the streets of London, but you took me to see that awful tribute band. And gatecrashed the stage and then drunkenly announced it to everyone in the pub that you were going to marry me because I give great head and can make a mean bacon sandwich. I remember my cheeks burning up with embarrassment and my heart swelling with pride as I thought that yeah I'd like that; I'd like to marry you. Sure we'd eventually make it to church and down the aisle, but there would be no kiss the bride, first dance or even carrying me over the threshold. I guess what matters is that we were together that's the most important thing.

Our last date six months ago that was the last time I saw you. The romantic candlelight was gone, replaced by harsh fluorescent strip lighting, you barely had enough strength to hold my hand and at first, I wasn't even sure if you knew that I was there until finally I saw a hint of a smile on your lips. I would've loved to have been able to dance with you one more time and I wouldn't have cared if we'd fallen over in front of everyone. I wouldn't have minded one bit if you spilt a drink all over my new coat. But instead, I lay with you squashed together on the small bed watching that Disney movie Up it was the last film we'd seen at the cinema together do you remember? You thought we were going to see The Hangover but you got the times mixed up. We just lay there for a long time, long after the film had finished your warm breath tickled my neck and I didn't want that date to end, I wanted to lay there with you forever, however, long that might be.

It was just after midnight when you took your last breath.

I'd give anything for one more date with you to see the sparkle in your eyes and your beaming smile followed by the look of disappointment when something went wrong - and it always did. Well, that's what you thought, "why can't things go right? Just this once," you'd pout and I'd laugh at you.

What you didn't realise is that everything was right. Our dates were perfect disasters and that's just the way they were meant to be because they were ours. Every date we had was perfect because I got to spend them with you.

 Every date we had was perfect because I got to spend them with you