Chapter Three

When they got to the Myrna’s it was already packed. Lana parked in her spot and we all ran in to the kitchen. They saw Lucas, Jack’s older brother, the guy who use to throw these parties when he was in high school. He winked at them and gave them all a flirty hug. He was such a little bitch, but you have to love Lucas. They grabbed their drinks and made their way to the fire pit. Lana found jack and he spun her around with one arm. She was wearing light wash jeans, a plaid blue and red button up shirt, but she tied it above her belly and buttoned a few at the top, and put her hair in two long braids and wore her red vans. Sidney found Alec and they sat on some hay and made out, forgetting their drinks. Sidney was wearing dark short shorts with a maroon sweatshirt and cowboy boots with her hair in a side braid. Ash and Ruben were dancing by the truck parked with its stereos on and pillows and blankets in the back, and she was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with her hairpin straight and flip-flops. Layla looked for Tommy but couldn’t find him. She was wearing a skirt that went down to her ankles; it was a sandy color and had a belt around the waist. She wore cowboy boots as well and had a white long sleeve shirt, and wore her hair down with beach waves. She drained her first drink and kept looking for him. She heard her phone go off and when she looked it was from ‘My extremely sexy babe Tommy’. She laughed and opened it. It said to go to the truck. She made her way over to the truck and saw Tommy in the back of the truck smiling and patting her spot. She smiled and ran over to him and jumped into the bed of the truck with Tommy. She crawled on top of him, ” Hi baby, I’ve been looking for you.” She said straddling him and holding his face pecking his nose and lips. Both of their smiles were huge. “I got you a drink angel.” He said and handed her a coffee mug. She looked at him weird but took a sip. It was her drink. She looked at him and smiled. “You remembered!” she laughed and fell so she was on his side and cuddled under his arm. “Of course I did baby, I need to remember cause I’m going to be making that drink for a long time.” They snuggled and occasionally kissed but after they would talk about anything. They sat like that laughing and enjoying the night until See You Again came on the radio. Tommy stood and offered his hand to Layla. She smiled and took his hand as he lifted her up. They bowed and swayed back and forth like they were on the dance floor at a ball. She leaned her head against his shoulder and he drew pictures on her back with his fingers. “LAY GET YOUR FAT ASS OUT OF THAT TRUCK AND COME HERE NOW!” he yelled ruining the moment. She whipped her head towards the voice with everyone else. Instead of seeing a drunk Nathan stumbling around like usual, she saw a drunk Nathan stumbling around with a gun. Tommy instantly put Layla behind him, as did Jack, Alec and Rueben. “Did I fucking stutter, Layla now, it’s time to go home.” He said waving the gun right at Tommy. Tommy didn’t even wince; he just held his ground in front of Layla. “Tom get out of the way that is a loaded gun.” Layla said sternly. She nervously looked from Tommy to Nathan. “Do I have to show you how serious I am? I will do what I have to to get Lay walking out here with me.” He aimed closer to Tommy but before he could say anything else Layla spoke up. “Okay Nathan, I’m coming, look see I’m out of the truck. Just put the gun down baby. Don’t do anything to get yourself in trouble.” Layla said walking slowly towards her ex boyfriend. “Haha see, that’s my good girl, I knew you didn’t really want that little bitch.” He said and put the arm with the gun around her shoulders. The gun was now aimed at her stomach. “You love me don’t you baby?” he asked barely pushing the gun into her stomach. “Of course I do babe, always did. Come on let’s go home.” Everyone watched helplessly as the drunken armed man walked away with his or her best friend under his arm with a gun pointed at her stomach. “I called the police! They are on their way with an ambulance just in case.” Jack said holding back Tommy who tried to go after the girl that was just in his arms. “Are you sure they are gonna be here in time…” Before Tommy finished his sentence a gunshot went off and both bodies in the distance fell to the ground. “LAYLA!” All the people at the bonfire ran towards where the two people went down. The cops pulled up and the ambulance loaded someone into the back of it before Tommy could get there. He ran faster until his lungs were aching, and then he saw her, Layla. He fell to his knees and cried.