Chapter 1: "Mooncalf Hills"

Switzerland. A beautiful country with long fields, that nurse beautiful flowers which enchant you with their fragrance. The skies are always clear, and in winter the snow covers the valleys, leaving chimneys with crackling fires and the music of the night echoing along the chilly streets.
Now, Ruby Rothmann was one of those lucky girls to live in this place. Except, she had an even bigger luck. She lived in one of the most soul-catching places there is.
Mooncalf Hills.
These hills are located in an isolated section of Switzerland, where everything seems more alive. A stream of water marks the beginning and the end of this town, keeping the grass alive and fresh. A forest gives it excitement and legends, keeping them scared of the imaginary monsters their ancestors came up with. Finally, there's a school, offering the best chances for a good education. It was all perfect.
But for Ruby it wasn't.

"Ruby Rothmann!" Miss Hickery screeched, calling the young 14 year-old to present in front of her class. Ruby fiddled with the wristbands and bracelets on her left arm. They always assured her it would be alright.
"Did you do the assignment?" The teacher asked, her pointy nose looking straight at Ruby.
"Yes miss." She said.
"Go on then." The teacher made a sign with her hand for her to begin.
"What is beauty to me?" Ruby read. She did her best not to make her voice sound shaky. "Beauty, is the forest at the side of the hills. That is beauty to me."
A few people laughed. They thought she was talking nonsense. Who would like that old forest? After all it was just another tourist attraction.
Ruby took a deep breath.
"The forest, has different trees, all unique, that show their personalities by dancing in the sun. I talk to them sometimes. They say that beauty to them is not something physical, but something inside. Beauty, is that one person who can see the good in others. That's according to them. And for me, they are beauty, because they are the ones who taught me that wonderful lesson. So what is beauty to me? Those trees. The trees that belong to the forest."
Someone snorted. Ruby glared in that direction, to see Greyson Lueders. He laughed at everyone, so it didn't matter. The teacher asked everyone to clap and Ruby went back to her seat.
--
"Hi mom. Dad." Ruby placed her backpack in the table and ran up to her room. She liked it there. Ruby's room was her little den. Messy, but cozy. Small, but enough. Disastrous, but comfortable.
Ruby took out her history book out of her desk and began to read about the ancient Mayas. Those stories were certainly boring. For the class, they were. Because according to miss Hickery, this was one of the most interesting things in the world. Please. Not even the Mayas would be entertained by how the book describes their story.
After long hours of studying, it was finally bed-time.

"Night my little birdie." Ruby's mom kissed her forehead.
"Night mom." Ruby replied. As soon as her mother closed the door, Ruby took out her torch and got under the covers.
Reading time.
Every Monday, Ruby stayed up late to read a piece of her favorite book, (The Wizard of Oz) and stay motivated during the week. She had just read the part were Dorothy clicks her heels.
"Here's to dreams." Ruby whispered, and went to sleep.