Welcome to Rhode Island

It's the smallest of the US states, measuring just 37 miles across and 48 miles high. Indeed it's so small many US cities, such as Houston, Greater New York and Los Angeles, are bigger than the entirety of Rhode Island. It was however one of the original 13 US states. In fact it has claims to be the very first, as it declared independence from Britain two months before anyone else, in May 1776.
While less than 0.5% of the US population live in Rhode Island, the state is home to the Griifins, who live in Quahog (pronounced Ko-hog). You'll have difficulty find the town on a map though, as it isn't a real place. It is, however, based on one. Quahog is loosely patterned on Cranston, Rhode Island, a city of 80,000 people that is pretty much a suburb of the state Capitol, providence. You can even sometimes see Providence landmarks in the background behind the Griffin's house. The name isn't made up either, as Quahog is the name of an edible clam - which is fitting as the towns founding myth says the city was started by Miles Chatterbox Musket, with the assistance of a magical talking clam. The Griffin house is on Spooner Street, which is a quiet residential area west of downtown Quahog. The Griffins live at number 31, the Swansons are at 33, while Quagmire resides in number 29. Also on the street is elderly pederast Herbert, while Cleveland Brown and his ex-wife Loretta used to live just opposite the Griffins. Rather oddly though, for some reason the plot of land Peter's house stands on was left off the official maps, meaning it wasn't a part of the United States. This allowed Peter to become president of Petoria, until he tried to invade the US by annexing Joe's pool. This cause a swift military response by the American government, who soon made Peter sign his country over to them.
Family guy facts:
-Rhode Island isn't an island. Most of its on the US mainland but it's named after an island just off the coast, now normally known as Aquidneck Island.
-The reason family guy creator, Seth MacFarlane chose to set the show in Rhode Island is because he went to the Rhode Island school of design.