The Pewterschmidts

Lois' parents are very, very rich. They have so much money that Carter hangs out with the likes of Bill Gates and when he and Barbara briefly split up, she married the equally wealthy Ted Turner. Carter is an industrialist who owns Pewterschmidt Industries and US Steel. A stereotypical old-money US billionaire, he believes that money is at the heart of happiness and as the oldest and richest man in the family, he's the top dog who should be in charge of everything. As a result, the fact his daughter married an oaf - and a poor oaf at that - is a major bugbear for him. While there are occasional times when he get along with his son-in-law, much of the time he likes nothing better than to see Peter fail. Barbara meanwhile is more chilled out. She loves her husband and is happy with her daughters choice of husband as long as Lois loves him and he treats her okay. That's not to say it's been all plain sailing for her and Carter. As mentioned, they briefly got divorced when he lost all his money and their marriage also nearly broke down when she discovered Carter was having an affair. She also spent years hiding a secret, as Lois was brought up thinking both her parents were Protestants. However Barbara is actually a Jewish holocaust survivor, born Barbara Hebrewberg. The old-fashioned and rather racist Carter forced her to hide her heritage.