Chapter 29: White Flag

"Chouji," you decided, grinning. Chouji looked startled but pleased at your choice and followed you into your section of the woods. Your eyes swept over the half of the map in your hands, finding the 'x' with relative ease.

"This is where we need to go," you said, pointing. Chouji glanced at the mark and nodded.

"That's not far from here," he sighed in relief. He pulled out a bag of chips and gave you a wary glance before taking a handful and crunching on them in earnest. "Want one?" he asked, after a small pause. You gave him a small smile and shook your head.

"There!" You indicated the boulder ahead, covered in springy moss and lichen. "But I can't seem to find it…Chouji, what does a trench knife look like?"

Chouji gave you a strange look. "It's Asuma-sensei main tools in battle, [Name]. He uses them as chakra blades."

"But what do they look like?" you asked again, squinting at the boulder. Up close, you couldn't find anything that looked remotely like a knife to you. "Like…the shape."

Chouji snapped a branch off a conveniently located bush and began to make scratchy lines into the dirt. When he finished, he tapped his drawing with the stick.

"Like this, sort of," he said, sounding half-embarrassed. "It's not very good, but…" he trailed off as you examined the shallow cuts in the ground.

"Hmm, so there're spiky things on the edge," you mused, your eyes wandering over the drawing. "How big are these trench knives, usually?"

Chouji gave you another strange look. "Small enough so that sensei can hold one in each hand."

"Oh!" you said, surprised. "How silly of me, I thought they were as big as swords!"

Chouji laughed and dropped his stick. Both of you wandered over to the moss-covered boulder, scrutinizing every crack and crevice at every angle.

"I don't suppose it'd be hidden underneath it, do you?" you asked apprehensively, gazing at the large rock in grudging admiration. It was at least twice as tall as you were, and several times as wide. You doubted you had the strength to lift it, even if you did tap into your chakra reserves.

"It won't hurt to try," Chouji reasoned, earning him a disbelieving look from you. "What?" he asked.

"Look at how big this thing is!" you protested, spreading your hands. "Even if we rolled it, I doubt we'll get far before we tire ourselves out."

Chouji gave you a small smile. "You're forgetting – I am an Akimichi after all."

You stared at him blankly.

"My clan's main technique, the expansion jutsu," he prodded encouragingly. When no flicker of recognition sparked in your (e/c) eyes, he gave up. "Oh well, [Name]…I'll just have to do it." His clasped his hands together into a hand seal.

"What? But Chouji –" you cried disapprovingly.

He just gave you a reassuring smile. "Baika no jutsu!"

You watched in stunned silence as Chouji's body expanded several times its original size. "Whoa…" you breathed.

"Human boulder…!" he exclaimed, launching himself directly at the other boulder and shattering it in the collision that followed. You gazed in awe at the demonstration of sheer strength. The boulder that had once been menacingly massive was now reduced to a pile of rubble coated in a light layer of fresh dust. You glanced at Chouji, worried that the impact might've hurt him, but he just grinned at you.

"That was fantastic!" you called, your eyes sparkling in admiration. His grin widened, and a light blush formed on his cheeks as he held out an object that looked remarkably like the drawing on the ground in front of your feet.