Chapter 78: Kurenai's Decision

Kurenai was impressed by the speed in which you caught on so quickly. You would make a fine genjutsu master, she thought proudly. Hokage-sama had been onto something when he had placed you on her team.

It wasn’t so much as potential as it was the fact that you shared her interest and talent in illusionary techniques. Ever since the fiasco with Yakumo, she had sworn off mentoring another genjutsu caster. But stumbling upon your hidden talent, she couldn’t help herself.

She just hoped she had made the right decision. By focussing on you, she’d be weakening the team. But if your emerging talents made up for it, then she wouldn’t need to worry.

With only a week to beat you into shape — not that she’d say those exact words to you — she was satisfied with your progress. Even so, what she couldn’t tell you was that this simply wouldn’t be enough. She couldn’t be confident that you’d be able to head into your first mission with barely seven days of genjutsu training.

For days, she contemplated what she could do for you, but nothing came to mind. Except…

Kurama Yakumo.

It had been how long since she’d seen the girl? One year? Two? Not much time had passed, after all, since she’d become a jounin. How long ago had it been since she’d ruined her student’s life?

There had been no way Yakumo could have followed the path of a shinobi in her physical and mental condition. Kurenai had told that to Yakumo, told her to lead a different life. Her decision had shattered the girl’s will to live.

Kurenai’s mistake back then was not trusting in Yakumo. Not believing in her…and not believing in herself. She wouldn’t make the same mistake again. She’d trust her former student — Yakumo might never be able to serve Konohagakure as a full-fledged ninja, but her formidable genjutsu abilities gave her the capacity to teach.

If she wanted that opportunity, that is.

-:-

It was her own fault, Kurenai thought guiltily, staring at Satomi Villa in awe and shame. Everything had come down to her verdict: that the abilities the girl harboured was just too dangerous. The Third Hokage had taken it upon himself to lock her up, at Kurenai’s request.

As she set off the traps on purpose to alert the ANBU and medical-nin of her arrival, one came outside to greet her.

“Kurenai.”

She responded with a brief nod, stepping forwards into the light. “Please let me see Yakumo.”

It was hard to distinguish his emotions behind the porcelain mask, but the man seemed somewhat surprised. “Forgive me, but I was under the impression you wanted nothing to do with Kurama-san after you’d abandoned her training —”

“I have business with her,” Kurenai replied. “Is she here right now?”

The ANBU gave a dry laugh. “Of course. She’s kept under constant surveillance, just as you requested.”

“Good. Keep it up.” She brushed past him and entered the villa, sweeping through the hallway with the pretence of impatience. It wasn’t surprising that they’d let her pass, saying nothing as she went into Yakumo’s room.

The girl had taken up painting, Kurenai remembered, just as a hobby since her abilities were sealed up for good. She could see the canvases lining the wall, dark paintings with even darker meanings. Yakumo took a keen interest in the dystopian, tragedies and mutilated bodies; they were drawings that reeked of despair and death. What did she wish to accomplish, surrounding herself with these horrible things? It wasn’t like she could use her powers anymore, to turn it into reality. This reality. Was it what Yakumo wanted?

“Do you like them, Kurenai-sensei?” A girl’s voice, soft and eerily familiar. “These paintings are for you.”

Kurenai flinched despite herself. She steeled herself to keep her own voice steady. “They’re very nice…Yakumo.”

“Aren’t they?”

“I have a proposal for you,” she continued, but Yakumo gave a bitter laugh.

“Is that so, sensei? It’s nothing personal, but I lost faith in you a long time ago.”

“You wanted to be a ninja.”

“…”

“You wanted to be a genjutsu user.”

“…”

“I sealed your powers to protect you.”

“No.” Yakumo’s voice was sharper now, angry. “You hate me.”

“Do you hate me?”

She fell silent, and Kurenai took the opportunity to press on, “They’re dangerous, your genjutsu, if they fell into the wrong hands. You know that as well as I do. You’ve always wanted to achieve your dreams, and because your instructor failed, so did you.”

“T-that’s not…true…”

“So you do have your doubts.” Kurenai gave a soft smile in the direction of her student’s voice. “Your kekkei genkai won’t stay sealed forever. In this time, you’ll have to make a choice.”

“…me?”

“Decide. Are you a threat to our village, or are you an asset to the Leaf?”

“S-sensei!”

“There’s another student, a girl much like yourself,” she added. “I told you that you could never be a ninja, but you…you could live out your dreams through her.”

“What do you —?”

“Teach her all you know, Yakumo. And in her, your abilities will live on. That’s the bond of a sensei and student, of teacher and shinobi. I might have failed as your instructor, but it won’t be the same for you. But of course…you can refuse. This is up to you, after all. It’s your decision completely.”

If Yakumo decides to help you, go to Chapter 116.

If Yakumo refuses to help you, go to Chapter 117.